Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

a huge number of city inhabitants can get rid of the car altogether (and save a lot of money in the process).

I drive about 55 miles a day on average, some more, some not at all… in the latter case typically because I’m in Europe riding my motorcycle. It vastly increases my quality of life. Driving less places, less far and less often is the last thing in the world I would want to do and the next worst thing would be living in an urban environment.

As my life goes on and with my efforts and some good fortune having allowed gasoline cost to be an inconsequential fraction of my budget, it has become a valued luxury to drive more and let go of needing to worry about the cost.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Dec 15:07

huge number of city inhabitants can get rid of the car altogether

In the Isle of Man you can just buy a decent raincoat and ride a bike everywhere

In London (etc) many don’t have a car because a) they have nowhere to park b) it costs too much to drive around c) because they love London Life and rarely leave the place except to take a train somewhere (mostly young people).

But most people do need a car, and the higher a quality of life they seek (= living in the countryside; mostly the destination of old farts like me ) the more they need one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

200km to the next fuel station, a 3 hour drive, otherwise A-Ok.

I got 3 within a 15 min drive of which one someplace I regularly visit for other reasons.

Cobalt wrote:

That may well be the one thing that makes a difference – long haul freight does not really work that well with batteries.

Yep.

Cobalt wrote:

The only thing that is as dead as a doornail are H2 powered combusion engines.

yes and as you say, rightly so.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But most people do need a car.

Two cars IMO. And a boat or two, and a couple of aircraft

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My installed and operating cylinder count is at 43 but I’m still pushing

It’d be more but my wife bought an electric lawn mower.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Dec 20:01

25, but I don’t have your motorcycle habit!

An electric lawn mower? Something that tears each blade of grass rather than cuts it….

EGLM & EGTN

I’m such a wimp. Just 4 on the aircraft and 2 chainsaws. And please don’t tell anyone that I recently bought an electric chainsaw, else I may be embargoed on this forum! Does the fact that I occasionally use someone’s tractor get me higher in the pecking order?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

We live in equally weird and amazing times

After Elon Musk recent stunts with Twitter etc I wonder what this will do to the car brand? In just a few days it has gone from an icon (many would observe a significant “green virtue signalling” component) to an embarrassment.

The actual sales performance is also well down, with various amazing promotions to shift them.

Administrator

I wonder if Tesla will become the new Gerald Ratner in business studies… on how to destroy a business really fast

Musk just managed to trash the brand faster than any brand had been trashed before.

And Musk did this just at the right time as the other car makers are gearing up to make electric cars – ones whose windscreen wipers do actually work; a key skill which VW mastered c. 1970

Administrator

The actual sales performance is also well down, with various amazing promotions to shift them.

What sort of improved deals are in the UK?

Here in Ireland (admittedly a small market) I’ve not observed and price reductions and there is still a long lead time.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message