Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA stopping FAA checkrides, and other DPE services, outside the US, except for US citizens

Another topic related to FAA and EASA!!!

I have heard from a friend of mine that is an FAA DPE (Examiner) in USA, that FAA is stopping any FAA Examiner to do check rides in Europe unless it is for US citizens.

FAA Order 8000.95A Page 3-8 local copy

3. Designated Examiners Abroad.
a. FAA Airman Certificate Exams.
A DPE, Admin PE, or SAE may be authorized to serve at locations outside the United States, provided the testing activities serve U.S. citizens abroad that were trained under part 61 or 141 only for an FAA airman certificate.

This limitation is in place requested from EASA.

This must mean the FAA DPE in Europe (based in LFAT) will be out of job!!!

ESGT/ESGP, Sweden

That document is from July 2020… Interesting!

I wonder if that refers to written exams, which were blocked some years ago.

I can’t see any relevant reference to EASA in this PDF. Where is the origin of that report?

It is certainly possible, and it is also possible that EASA demanded this. But EASA runs only a very small part of the earth’s surface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Serving U.S. citizens abroad does not preclude serving others as well. The phrase ‘only US citizens’ is not included and you can bet that was intentional – FAA legal review is thorough.

It looks to me like a rationalization/justification for FAA having DPEs operating abroad, not the converse. The tendency to interpret everything in the most onerous way possible is interesting to me, but does not typically reflect FAA practice.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Feb 21:03

I can’t see anything wrong with Silvaire’s interpretation: this isn’t to restrict services to US citizens only. If they wanted to exclude non-US citizens, they would have said it.

Andreas IOM

From here

It appears that the FAA have stopped all DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) services to all non-US citizens outside the continental US, effective immediately.
So not only no checkrides (skill tests) but no paperwork issuance of 61.75 piggyback licences – you have to visit the US to pass any checkride or issue a licence.

I cannot find any notice or evidence on an FAA website to verify this decision, which is clearly a very significant change.

Presumably those with licences can continue to have Flight Reviews and IPCs to keep them current.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

From above site:

Given that US writtens have required a US trip for some time, this really affects only 61.75 applicants.

Also this came up here in the same form, and the FAA position is not exactly new, but the view was that it isn’t real. I won’t merge the threads just yet…

Administrator

I got this confirmed by another DPE who issue 61.75 (also applies to checkrides but my DPE does not do these only the 61.75 admin), not sure how much relates to BASA? or FAA oversight agenda?

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jun 18:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I disagree that this affects only 61.75 pilots.

Some students have made a brief trip to the US to sit the theory exam and subsequently trained and passed their checkrides in Europe. This avoids the need for a US visa and the associated paperwork, embassy interview, SEVIS application and time away from home etc

By the way, the US Government website that deals with alien student pilot approval has moved from www.Flightschoolcandidates.gov to https://fts.tsa.dhs.gov/

It doesn’t seem to be UK specific. I wondered if the timing had anything to do with the requirement for EASA residents to hold an EASA licence to fly FAA registered aircraft in EASA countries from this month. It this may be pure co-incidence….

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

and subsequently trained and passed their checkrides in Europe. This avoids the need for a US visa and the associated paperwork, embassy interview, SEVIS application and time away from home etc

Very interesting. How does this work? Training done on N-reg aircraft with FAA CFI/CFIIs? UK or EU?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I disagree that this affects only 61.75 pilots.

True, but one needed a strong stomach to do checkrides in Europe… the numbers would have been very small due to that, and other things.

Training done on N-reg aircraft with FAA CFI/CFIIs? UK or EU?

Long story but briefly the FAA accepts almost all non US training, towards any US license or rating. Many previous threads So, for getting training which was fully acceptable to the FAA if you did the checkride in the US, or with a US DPE in Europe who interpreted the requirements correctly there was always flexibility. It was the checkrides which were a very big problem, after the “vested interests” blocked European checkrides c. 2008-1010.

Administrator
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message