Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing D/EU reg into the UK, post Brexit

Welcome to EuroGA, @flyingelephant

Posts moved to existing thread on same topic; see above for more info.

There used to be a story going around that if you had some “old wreckage” which needed a lot of stuff fixing, you could just put it in the N-reg That has not been the case in the last 20 years, if ever. You can find some notes on N-reg transfer here.

The general issue of transferring between registers is not related to brexit. The accepting CAA is free to perform an examination of both documents and the aircraft. They often didn’t intra-EU but sometimes they do. See above for one example where the “trivial” move went spectacularly wrong.

Brexit changes one thing: if you are in the UK you do pay import VAT, unless there is a concession. IIRC, there was something related to whether the aircraft was in the UK on a certain date. May be something here. Otherwise, it is like importing from say the US.

N-reg has a narrower application today than used to be the case. Getting the papers is harder, you have to go to the US for the written exams so unless you limit yourself to a 61.75 PPL you have some work to do. Also how well it works maintenance-wise depends on the availability of a good A&P/IA. I’ve been N-reg since 2005 and would not move today but not sure whether I would start N-reg today. Actually if I knew what I know now I would not start flying at all

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Putting on the N-reg is something I had not considered, and will explore. Although as @Winston indicated, there is the hassle of getting FAA licenses.
Speaking to my engineer, it seems 40+ year old aircraft will have some defects to contend with depending on owners proactive maintenance.
Thank you @RobertL18C for sharing your experience.

United Kingdom

I’m in a similar position licence-wise, although I do have a share in a light-IFR G-reg aircraft.

Having looked at what my aircraft upgrade options would be in the future, it seems like it might be cheaper for me to get FAA licences and move an aircraft to the N register, than just to move an aircraft onto the G-reg. Caveat: this is all based on reading and conversations, no actual experience.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

@flyingelephant it definitely needs a conversation with your engineer in the UK. The process is quite laborious, although some European countries are quite ‘light’ on the Export CofA, which may mean the UK CAA may compensate on being quite ‘heavy’ on their survey. The UK CAA is also observing some defect trends on certain types, and therefore may apply some more time on inspecting these areas on these types. The cost, not counting rectification of defects, will not get change from around 10 AMU.

If you are going to get an export CofA I would strongly consider registering on the N register, which may be easier to accomplish while the aircraft is on the ground in Europe. Again selecting the DER needs a recommendation, some only deal with heavy iron and may be heavy handed in dealing with a puddle-jumper. Also a DER may be more understanding if all SBs are not complied with, on the argument it is operated as Part 91.

I once had an aircraft surveyed by the CAA in Dublin and it went smoothly, but this was a tube and fabric simple aircraft. No added value by the survey, but the CAA surveyor did travel to carry it out. The seller’s engineer assisted and you would need to get this as part of the deal.

If you wanted you could be more specific on the type, or the aircraft itself, and show scans of some of the pages of the log books (eg last annual, damage history entries, modification entries). With the engine outside calendar, and the propeller reaching overhaul, this will give some pause to the CAA. The survey is straightforward and you would need to show AD and SB compliance, and where you chose not to comply with an SB perhaps an explanation.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Issues faced importing aircraft from EU to UK after BREXIT

Good day to you all,

This is my first post on this forum.

After many years sitting on the fence, renting, I am now actively looking for a SEP to own. My license and mission – I am a PPL(UK) with IR(R), and plan to do IR training (via CBIR route) in the new aircraft. Looking for a capable 4 seater (4 persons + full fuel) to take the family on longer trips. Private use only.

Most aircraft (with decent IFR specs and reasonable price) seem to be found in Europe or US. So I have taken the bold step of importing one from EU and putting it on UK G-reg.

Reading UK CAA website and internet forums, my understanding is that UK CofA is not guaranteed, if the CAA surveyor is not “satisfied”. At that point in the process, the aircraft would have been paid for, flown to the UK, deregistered from the EU country register, and probably only worth its weight in scrap metal if no UK CofA issued ?

I would like to hear the wisdom of the forum on any specific experiences importing into UK register – both good and horror stories.

Also, how significant are these to “satisfying” the criteria for CofA issue ?

• Lycoming Engine TBO below 2000HRS, but exceeds the 12 year calendar TBO.
  • Prop TBO 6 years approaching, and the seller is keen to sell before the overhaul date.
  • Repair entries in the logbook and signed off properly by engineer, but missing EASA form 1 for parts replaced before 2006.
  • Mods like engine heaters installed in Northern European countries. Cant be easily removed, due to the glue used.
  • Weeping wet wing fuel tanks.
  • Most log books present since birth (in multiple European languages and English), with some loose paper logs from 2 decades ago.

Any information and advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

United Kingdom

Other changes are a lot harder and more expensive to perform under FAA than EASA.

337 alterations are accepted except on critical componentes.

Other than that I still do not know who you’re referring to. During debates with Brexiteers, MAGAs or Covid-Conspiracists, I learned not to accept implications. Especially not from biased participants.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Indeed people do post a lot of things on the internet but some people may much more readily recognise writing by some people than writing by some other people

The point which I am sort of trying to make, and of course you will understand completely, is that these things are more complicated than can be disposed of with brief posts. And some mods done in FAA-land may be a lot harder to put on EASA, or G-reg, than some others. For example, the statement

337 Are accepted (except for critical alterations)

could be quite a big one, especially as a 337 is a Major Alteration process. A 337 by itself tell you nothing, apart from that somebody filed a 337 to Oklahoma for filing. Attached to that 337 could be any of a multitude of things, from absolute trivia (which some A&P filed as a Major Alt because he was too illiterate to read the guidance, and/or wanted his ar*se covered, and the client was paying by the hour) to large mods involving a DER 8110 design package.

Administrator

Someone I know always posts everything on the internet. You need to be more specific here.

Last Edited by mh at 19 Feb 21:18
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It is what someone you know posted elsewhere on the internet, on a similar topic

Administrator

What are they? Examples please.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message