Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

90/180 day limit for max stay in the EU - is it important to leave EU via a fully attended aiport?

I will need to do a fuel stop at LFBI on my to LFMD, my concern ( from past experience) is no customs Imigration shows up at LFBI, but post Brexit when you are only allowed 90 days out of 180 in Europe, how do you go on if on your return trip to the UK there is no one at LFBI to “check you out”of the country.

Could you do this at LFMD on departure if you stop in France for a fuel stop?

Last Edited by Rob at 22 Mar 12:35

@rob post moved to a new thread.

Is this the 6 month limit for Temporary Admission, as discussed around here – for aircraft which never had the EU VAT Paid status?

What about the journey log – that is an EASA legal requirement

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the 90 days in any 180 days referred by Rob is in relation to Immigration i.e. visa free tourist in Schengen area for certain countries including UK.

I think if you enter and leave by the appropriate airport and give the appropriate notice that you have done you part. If the Police or Customs don’t turn up it’s their problem.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

how do you go on if on your return trip to the UK there is no one at LFBI to “check you out”of the country.

I can foresee the same problem arising on ‘day trips’ to, for example, Calais LFAC.
Often last year, I would check in with Immigration/Customs on arrival. Then they would swipe my passport through their computer reader (which I presume records my arrival date). In the future, I assume they will now also stamp it.
Often, though, when the time came to depart, there were no officials around.
If I don’t go back to France for a period of time, will the new inspection of my passport claim I have never actually left and that this time wii/should be deducted from my allowance of 90 days?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Surely the easiest way to show you left the EU back to the UK is to keep a copy of your GAR if you are worried? I have not thought about it until just now, but Im sure Im not the only person to have 2 passports and have used one or the other for trips depending upon what Visa is required or not? I generally keep copies of flight ticket details and flightplans just in case anyone wants to ask about the days in/out of various countries.

Regards, SD..

Yes; in reality you will have loads of evidence of where you were and when (not just FR24 but airport logs, etc, etc) but the practical issue may be to convince some customs officer abroad, with whom you can only barely communicate, who’s got his hands on some piece of bogus data.

I hope this issue isn’t any bigger for UK pilots than it has been since for ever for all sorts of non-European pilots flying around Europe, but – for a while at least, until things cool down – UK pilots are likely to draw more attention when in the EU. And if monitoring was done with any intelligence then they will go after obvious regular visitors.

It’s an interesting point… something to keep half an eye on.

Administrator

Peter_G

If I don’t go back to France for a period of time, will the new inspection of my passport claim I have never actually left and that this time wii/should be deducted from my allowance of 90 days?

That is my concern.

Rob wrote:

My guess is France does nothing unless they can prove when you left. How does that apply if you leave without receiving a passport stamp, then show up later to enter? You clearly did leave.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Mar 20:20

Passport stamps should return for UK pilots from now on

The last ones I got were from the Montenegro fly-in in 2019, and before that from Serbia, Bosnia, etc and then further back from pre-EU Croatia.

In these days of online passport checks, it is an interesting Q whether the system keeps track of who stays for how long. I am sure it does – at least in some places – because I know of one formerly UK and now IOM resident who has had to go to huge lengths to protect his 90 or 120 or whatever day allowance and sometimes had to get a flight to Dublin and stay there overnight (I don’t understand the reason for that).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

In these days of online passport checks, it is an interesting Q whether the system keeps track of who stays for how long.

Do EU countries (or the EU as a whole) have something akin to the US I-94 ? This is a form you can download that shows your entries and exits to/from the US. It goes by passport number and comes in handy if there’s some mistake or confusion as to time spent in the US.

33 Posts
Sign in to add your message