Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WECFM GRND HDLG FOR YR FLT

Just got this hilarious reply from Belgrade airport LYBE about permission to land:

ATTN FIRSTNAMELASTNAME WECFM GRND HDLG FOR YR FLT ON SEP17 BUT PLS SEND ETA/ETD BEG ALL CHARGES HAVE TO BE PAID BY CREW IN CASH OR BY VALID CREDIT CARD (DINERS, VISA, MASTER, AMERICAN EXPRESS (AMEX) OR EURO CARD).

It would take me considerably more effort to encode a message like that than to write it in proper English. But of course, letters in emails are a limited resource!

Sent them a reply: TX FR PERM, LK FWD TO LDG IN BLG

Hi Achim,

they are very friendly usually and also quite cheap. I got the same reply (but they did actually change the name holder) within 4 minutes of sending my request in July, (flight did not happen in the end) and I actually called them the last time I went because I had overlooked the requirement and they were good about it. Landing fee 2011 was € 16 (including 2 crew transports to AIS and back) and Avgas € 1.50/liter, payable directly at the aircraft. So if you don't need a pit stop in the building, you won't need to leave the airplane :) . Friend who went there actually did this but asked if he could buy some water or softdrinks, after some walkie talkie chat a catering truck arrived handing the crew water and coke bottles and refused to take money for them as "they would not know how to charge it", smiled and drove off.

Handling request does need to include an approximate ETA/ETD that is true, they won't go just for the day :) On the actual day they are however quite flexible with delays.

One of the best airports I have visited for GA. Great service for practically no money.

(The landing fee was for a transit stop which I announced both in my request as well as in the flight plan "Technical landing". Otherwise it would be € 30 (MTOW1168kg), if you don't announce it and only tell them on the ground. I forgot on the way back and the handling agent actually managed to change it "this one time" but explicitly told me to put it in the flight plan next time. )

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks, that sounds like a good stop. The only issue is alternates, there is nothing in the region that stocks Avgas. The other Avgas airport in Serbia is Nis LYNI but they have a nice NOTAM out:

AD HOURS OF SERVICE:

MON TUE FRI SAT AND SUN 0530-0730.

What is the generally accepted form of declaring your landing as a technical landing in the flight plan? Something like RMK/TECH LDG?

The lack of sensible alternates might make go to Croatia instead although I would really like to try out Serbia (and buy Avgas for half the price )

there is nothing in the region that stocks Avgas

Time to think about an upgrade into the turbine class? ;-)

EDXQ

The only issue is alternates, there is nothing in the region that stocks Avgas.

Can't you take Osijek?

I'm sure they'll open the airport for you on a sunday and sell you AVGAS if you pay them 150€

Pecs LHPP isn't much farther than Nis (1NM or so), and does have AVGAS.

LSZK, Switzerland

Achim,

yes, that is what I did, RMK/TECHNICAL LANDING. And I also told them in the original e-mail.

Osijek is a valid alternate during the week, on the week end they are closed or rather restrictedly open. Nis is the same all the time, however, the interesting thing is that they apparently are there anyhow, at least their approach control is as we had to contact them outside their opening hours on both ways and they appeared to have local traffic. Maybe ask.

Otherwise you are right, the nearest alternates which are more or less normally open are Zagreb, Timisoara, Skopje (PPR) or possibly Banja Luka (not sure about the usage conditions...)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nis have offered to open the airport for me at no extra charge. That is brilliant, I am now planning to fly to Nis with Belgrade as the alternate. Nis is further, so I can take more of the Serbian Avgas at 1,15€ and less of the Greek at 3,10€.

The best Nis offer is a VOR DME so in bad weather it might be Belgrade.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message