Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Border Force instructing EGPG A/G to refuse a landing, due to coronavirus

This amazing report appeared in a recent UK MOR (mandatory occurence) listing. Can you imagine what it would have been like to be a pilot, on the receiving end of this?

He had not done his homework, it seems, but this is ridiculous. A landing is not exactly optional…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is BF going way beyond what they should!
I can’t help but think that it borders on endangering an aircraft! Maybe they should be prosecuted for that!

I can’t help but think that the pilot’s mind was no longer on the aircraft or the flight and was not on legalities. A very easy wasy to make a serious mistake.

I wonder if there is a way to make a formal complaint about that. Perhaps some of the GA alphabet organisations should take this incident to put BF back into their box. It’s really not acceptable.

If the pilot messed up, so be it. Deal with it on the ground.

Perhaps there is a good reason here for ATC to form a policy of refusing to pass on BF messages to pilots in flight.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

One problem is that if you go on record with this text, and you are on the MOR recipient list, the CAA guy in charge will take you off the list, for ever…

It should perhaps be raised with an MP.

Administrator

To be 100% correct if you are an owner operator the flight crew exemption to quarantine should apply.

Applies to:
Pilots and crew, as defined in paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Air Navigation Order 2016 or other people carried to perform duties assigned by the aircraft operator or pilot in command relating to the safety of passengers or the aircraft, where they have travelled to the United Kingdom in the course of their work or are otherwise required to travel to the United Kingdom for work purposes.
As an example the annual of the plane etc. I guess if you’re travelling back from holiday this does not qualify…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

At what point was travel from Germany requiring a 1750 quid hotel quarantine…??

Why UKBF/ATC assume that those crew & pax are subject to quarantine and 1750£ hotel? there are load of exemptions? easier one to grasp is BF employees working abroad

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jul 10:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Stupidity, arrogance, and other stuff which goes with the recruitment policy into these jobs.

The big danger is that some pilots will give in. The PPL teaches you to blindly obey “ATC” , especially in the UK.

Years ago there was a similar one with some afis airfield in Essex refusing landing due to not having the GAR form. Wrong on multiple levels, and dangerous.

Administrator

Most of the highly opinionated FISO & AG operators have less clue of how an aircraft fly from Germany to UK but you have to deal with them as they act on behalf of airfield owners, usually it’s not an issue at your homebase but things may get bizzare when flying elsewhere other than your homebase (e.g. Sandown AG), an easy answer like “X knows where you live and can come knock on your door if they think something is missing” (X can be any higher authority like Police, UKBF, SB, CAA, ATC…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jul 11:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It’s a misuse of ATC. The maximum I could imagine is to have ATC give the pilot the information, that he will be met by border force upon landing, so to give him the opportunity to divert back home, fuel permitting.

These things should be sorted on the ground. If the Border Force has an issue with an aircraft and crew, I suppose they do like every other border force and will meet them on arrival and, in the case of Covid, detain them to a facility which can deal with them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Also a landing does not trigger any CV19 action – anywhere, well not in any civilised country.

You can always refuel and fly elsewhere. Well except Alderney EGJA which notamed that anybody doing a full stop landing will be locked away for ever.

So this “cannot land” is complete bollox.

Administrator
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message