Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US-EU Ferry price

We ferried a PA46 from the US to Europe just a few months ago. Our ferry pilot was Scott from Aircraftpartner.de.
Their web page indicates a starting price of 11700 USD for SR22 and this is not far from what we paid. I can warmly recommend him.

Finland

Thoroughly prepared and any current IFR pilot can do it by him self.
An exiting journey and experience.

EDMA, Germany

I did a U.K. to Canada ferry last year in a PA31, I did not find it particularly difficult but much more challenging that my multiple Atlantic crossings in the B7M8.

I would be more than happy to ferry other well maintained aircraft for expenses + a reasonable fee.

The ferry quotes don’t include insurance. A few years ago this might be a 100%earned premium of $2,000 but today the going rate seems a flat $10,000 to $15,000, which is what the two Bonanzas paid for their recent RTW flight. Experience doesn’t seem to have much influence on the quoted premium assuming you are IR.

It would be interesting to get information from these ferry companies if the quote includes insurance.

If the aircraft can be loaded safely in a container this seems mor economical these days.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

For an average hull value of 500k a 10k insurance premium implies 2 percent of all ferries never make if. is that in the right ballpark? Otherwise it is a rip-off.

Biggin Hill

Yes the actuarial risk is exaggerated massively basically special risk capacity is very limited at the moment

Also quite a few claims in far away places where basically a minor tech issue might become a hull claim

RobertL18C wrote:

If the aircraft can be loaded safely in a container this seems mor economical these days.

I take it you haven’t had the need to obtain transatlantic container quotes recently. The current rates are eye-watering, to put it mildly.

Also quite a few claims in far away places where basically a minor tech issue might become a hull claim

I reckon an insurer would write off a plane stuck with a gear-up landing on the Scilly Isles, quite easily

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@172driver I was about to! The seller was an A&P and he offered to disassemble pack and reassemble in the UK as part of a deal. He thought the container cost might be around $3-5K. He had decided to polish the propeller which I had to point out is viewed as not good by the FAA

Insurance might have to cover recovery, rather than abandoning, for environmental reasons, if it was down on an icecap.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message