Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums



Could anyone please advise on the following:

I currently have a FAA ME IR but am considering letting my MEP lapse and flying SEP but wish to continue with my IR priveleges. My FAA PPL is backed onto my UK PPL.

I know that if my ME IR is current then I can fly SEP IR but what happens if my ME lapses?

Have tried the FAA website but to no avail.



Do I understand correctly

  • you have a UK issued EASA licence with valid MEP(L), SEP(L) and IR-SPA-ME?
  • this is endorsed "ONLY VALID WHEN ACCOPMPANIED BY..."

and you want to revalidate your IR-SPA-ME in a single, so it "downgrades" to single engine privileges only, and let the MEP lapse?

Biggin Hill




To clarify:

I have a UK CAA PPL with MEP, IMC, SEP, night ratings.......piggybacked onto my UK CAA PPL I have a FAA PPL Airplane single and multi engine this I have an instrument airplane rating



Would you be proposing to drop the ME rating altogether, by doing both the UK PPL revalidation and the FAA PPL BFR in a single?

That would certainly save you a lot of money and hassle, if you are not a twin owner.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom


I am a twin owner but was contemplating selling the twin and buying a hp was looking to drop the ME altogether



Cobalt you Are correct except that I only have the UK IMCR and the IR is attached to the FAA licence




A few yhings intrigue me..

"I know that if my ME IR is current then I can fly SEP IR".. I do not know if this is correct as a ME is a different Class?

Your IR has to be US test passed as the FAA would not give this, based on your IMC.

So there are a couple of things to consider...

  1. you still need to get your Easa IR... (before april 8, 2014).

  2. You probably do not have an EASA license yet?

  3. Your 61.75 actually may become invalid/may need some work (i know they are working on a solution) because once you get an EASA license your number will change and thus the 61.75 becomes invalid.

  4. Once you have an EASA license you will never loose your validity anymore.( you can only be NOT current).

  5. You may want to consider doing a full FAA test .. maybe CPL so that you have a normal license. it is not that hard and good training.

So what I would advise you is:

  1. keep everything valid .. at least untill you get an EASA license (which probably comes straight after point 2).

  2. get your EASA IR via the new CBM conversion route which hopefully will be available around feb 2014. Once you pass this I presume you will be automatically given an EASA license. Then you can let your ME lapse if you wish.

  3. I would go for an FAA CPL ME license. That way you do not have any hassle with the 61.75 and number issues anymore. Besides the FAA CPL training and test are good fun and usefull.

This way you are fully covered and set.. and if you would decided to reinstate your ME .. it will be a lot easier.

P.S. the 61.75 can be very funny. I once saw one of a 777 FO... That qualified as ME as well :-)

Out of interest...

I don't think the FAA ME ever lapses. You can always renew the PPL/CPL with an appropriate BFR.

Presumably the FAA ME IR is similarly renewed, either by flying 6 approaches under the hood with a safety pilot, or with an IPC with a CFII.

But the JAA/EASA ME can lapse totally, and if you leave it for more than X years you have to re-do the whole ME conversion (PPL or CPL) which is 5 hrs minimum, and also have to re-do the ME IR test (via an FTO - like any JAA/EASA IR which is more than 1 year + 1 day old.

Is that correct?

A lot of European private pilots who, many years ago, would have naturally progressed to twins, are totally avoiding the whole ME business because of this stuff.

A very good point about not dropping the ME entitlement until after the CBM IR conversion - if/when that comes. An FAA ME IR holder should be able to get an EASA ME IR with just an oral exam and the initial IR test (assuming the 50hrs IFR time already in the logbook, etc).

the 61.75 can be very funny. I once saw one of a 777 FO... That qualified as ME as well :-)

This type of mutual validation is common in the ATPL business... in general, if you get a job with a commercial operator (probably an AOC holder) then that operator's national CAA will validate your ICAO papers for aircraft on its own registry.

Obviously this is a dead handy route to convert an FAA CPL/IR or FAA ATP into a JAR-FCL equivalent

It has been the holy grail of many people, and many achieved it. Most of them don't talk about it.

Going from ICAO to JAR-FCL was easy many years ago. Ireland used to hand out JAR-FCL ATPLs to anybody with an FAA one, until they got found out and were told to stop it. Hungary was another popular route, especially since Hungarian registered planes have been popular for certain types of ops in southern Europe.

I was offered this route (to convert my FAA CPL/IR into a JAR CPL/IR) in a certain country near the Adriatic. The catch was that I would have had to work there as an instructor, for a few months at least...

But I did the FAA to JAA IR conversion the normal way, in the end.

I think the only validation route into the JAR-FCL/EASA system that is officially allowed today is the one which requires you to have 2000hrs in a Part 25 aircraft.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My FAA IR was gained in the US as a separate rating so is not relying on anything else other than me keeping my UK (soon to be EASA PPL) current.

I am planning to do the EASA IR when it comes about but really only wanted to know if for the time being would I continue to have FAA IR privileges in a single if my UK MEP was allowed to lapse

I am pretty sure on the point of the ME IR covering for SE IR.....but obviously not not work the other way around.

Pewter is correct about the FFA IR being non-expiring but if I let my MEP lapse I could keep IR current on the SE but not sure if this would be legal as far as the FAA is concerned.

If you think the EASA IR could be as close as Feb 2014 then I will wait and convert my IR then

Many thanks for the advice Peter and Cobalt

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top