Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK pilots: how do you avoid your EASA PPL getting auto-converted to a UK PPL? (and the mess of similar UK PPLs)

Malibuflyer wrote:

Can an EASA examiner (from a foreign country) still extend the ratings on a UK-EASA-license?

Yes for existing EASA examiners who were allowed by CAA but not for very long (there is a cutoff date and any future AoC needs to be done in UK), not the case for new EASA examiners who were not authorized (and not sure about those who were UK CAA FE and SOLIed to EASA and are back to UK CAA)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So what is the value of keeping the EASA license unconverted when you will end up with a quite useless license latest in 2 years because you have no valid rating on this license?
Or do I get it wrong?

Germany

UK-EASA-PPL is nothing else than CAA FCL PPL issued by UK, the EASA is just a logo and makes no difference
Some FCL examiners (EASA & CAA) can sign CAA FCL licensee, if CAA authorize them to do so

Why some people want to keep the logo or get rid of it, I have no idea? (just like UK passports mine is red with EU+UK on top, wife one is blue with UK on top, it’s the same thing )

PS: if anyone is looking for DGAC CRI and/or CAA CRI to help for a revalidation (NPPL, LAPL, UKPPL, FCLPPL) please shout

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Oct 09:30

My understanding is that my UK-issued EASA PPL has become an ordinary UK ICAO PPL, regardless of what it says on the front.

I don’t believe I’m required to do anything to facilitate that conversion. I guess if I take some action that results in a re-print (e.g. change of address) then it will come back with the EASA / EU references removed.

Presumably EASA have implemented some retro-active legal process which basically rescinds my EASA licence. I think they’d have to, since it was valid for life when issued and did not appear to contain any obvious provisions for being rescinded at the discretion of EASA based on which member state issued it. If one felt strongly about it, one could presumably challenge the legal basis on which this has happened. It would be very interesting to know whether, during the formation of EASA FCL, the question of what happens to EASA licences issued by a departing member state was ever considered.

Interestingly this is the second time in only 10 years of flying that EU-related political machinations have forced an unwanted and arguably unnecessary change in licence type upon me. At least this time I’ve not had to pay for it like with the JAA-EASA switch, but I wouldn’t put it past the UK CAA to eventually find a way to bill me for it – although the licence is still apparently valid for life.

Last Edited by Graham at 22 Oct 09:56
EGLM & EGTN

Ibra wrote:

and any future AoC needs to be done in UK

Really?

London, United Kingdom

“Likely” to be required for FI/FE SOLI returners to re-issue their CAA ratings & authorizations back but also implicitly applied to anyone who renew their EASA papers outside UK…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Oct 10:13

Not sure this is relevant to the topic. This is not a SOLI (State of License Issue) change.

However, the topic itself may be moot, if the license is “auto converted”.

It’s going to be very funny to have a UK Part-FCL PPL running at the same time as the old UK National PPL, with different privileges. I have lost track of this long ago but it may be that both can be used with the PMD – see here. I wonder if @MattL has a view on this

In fact, what is the difference now?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

my UK-issued EASA PPL has become an ordinary UK ICAO PPL

It has always been a UK ICAO Annex 1-compliant PPL. However, there are two distinct ICAO PPLs granted by the UK. The Part-FCL kind granted pursuant to (retained) EU law and the pre-harmonisation kind specified in the UK ANO, Sch 8 (link).

London, United Kingdom

@Graham here I had to change from the French TT (PPL) to JAA and then to EASA. Thankfully the DGAC did not charge to do the changes on either occasion.

France

I can report that having recently added a rating (SE CRI), my license came back as a shiny new UK PPL

Sign in to add your message