Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does it make sense to add a UK license?

I was thinking that with the current easy path to conversion EASA→UK that expires at the end of this year, does it make sense to obtain a UK license alongside my EASA (and FAA) even if I have no immediate need for one? I’m thinking about ability to rent, purchase, or otherwise fly a G-reg aircraft at some point in the future without jumping through hoops. Especially considering there are lots of G-reg in Europe, just as there are lots of N-reg. Thoughts? Is it really just a paperwork exercise?

EHRD, Netherlands

No, it doesn‘t make sense, unless you are looking at a career in the UK. There are actually very few G-regs on the continent and they are getting even fewer, due to Brexit. There used to be a handful in southern Spain and Portugal, but again, really just a few and often not available for rent.

So the only reason would be if you wanted to rent in the UK regularly, but from NL, you can just hop over in your own aircraft.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jan 16:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There does seem to be some serious wishful thinking, which may be based on reality, that bi-lateral arrangements between UK and EASA will be smoothed with a fair degree of reciprocity.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Once the UK License is issued, does it ever expire?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Until the end of 2022, there is this. It’s possible that this general validation gets renewed beyond that date. In any case, there will always be the possibility of requesting in an individual validation of an EASA license, since the UK is required by ICAO rules to provide this.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Until the end of 2022, there is this. It’s possible that this general validation gets renewed beyond that date. In any case, there will always be the possibility of requesting in an individual validation of an EASA license, since the UK is required by ICAO rules to provide this.

Yes, but that’s a general validation that expires in December of this year. It looks like the conversion is a matter of getting a UK medical and filling out the online application for about GBP250. Perhaps not worth it, but was just thinking maybe the current circumstances would make obtaining one easy.

EHRD, Netherlands

boscomantico wrote:

the UK is required by ICAO rules to provide this

Validations are issued at the discretion of the State.

The UK CAA will render an ICAO Annex 1-compliant third-country licence valid for non-commercial operations, on any of 28 days in a calendar year, pursuant to article 8(3) of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, as retained and amended by the UK (link). The applicant must undertake an acclimatisation flight with an instructor and make a declaration using the forms mentioned under “Guidance for visiting pilots” on the UK CAA page Recognition of ICAO third country licences in UK airspace.

London, United Kingdom

What I find confusing in terms of phrasing and explanation on the CAA website that it seems to state that anyone who wants to fly in UK airspace would require a UK Part-FCL licence or validation of their ICAO licence. I did not think that was the case based on the EU Basic Regulation 2018/1139 retained in UK law. Based on my understanding only the following aircrew would be required to hold a UK Part-FCL licence or validation:

• Aircraft is registered in the UK (i.e. G-reg) or
  • Operator is established, residing or with a principal place of business within the UK

Otherwise it would mean that anyone flying a non-UK registered aircraft into UK airspace would require a UK Part-FCL licence or validation of their ICAO licence.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Yes that is obviously correct.

ICAO privileges continue as normal in the “civilised world”.

The “established…” bit remains undefined – just like it was since Brussels came up with it c. 2010 FUD is cheap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A UK non–Part-21 (annex I) aircraft can also be flown with a UK non–Part-FCL licence, a licence granted by another contracting state, or a licence granted under the law of a British overseas territory or Crown Dependency. ANO, art 150. UK Part-21 aircraft can be flown with a UK non–Part-FCL licence within the privileges of an SSEA, SLMG, TMG, or SEP class rating. UK Aircrew Regulation, art 3(3).

London, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message