Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Rather a long op-ed in today’s newspaper blaming the last three German chancellors for giving Russia a green light to invade Ukraine:

http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/876/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/876/pub/876/page/65/article/284183

I know for sure that Germany, Finland, Norway and Poland have been blocking arms exports to Ukraine until last week. But is the rest of this article fair? Did any other European country do more to recognise and contain Putin’s appetite for lebensraum?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Did any other European country do more to recognise and contain Putin’s appetite for lebensraum?

I remember similar situation 31 years ago (although on a smaller scale) when 1991 Croatia and a year later Bosnia were attacked by Serbian dictator Milosevic (heavily supported by Russian drunk Yeltsin) and European countries doing nothing for years (even preventing effective defence with arms embargo) until finally NATO bombed Serbian military installations in 1999 to end 8 bloody years of Balkan’s butcher ravaging. Only in Bosnia it resulted in more than 100.000 people killed and more than 2.2 million people displaced within 4 years of war in the country that had barely 4 million inhabitants at that time.

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Feb 14:23
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The latest fear would be that this crazy guy raise atomic bomb alert, that is going to trigger implication of other countries in the military conflict. I know all air force did raise their alert level, but intercepting an atomic missile is another game…

It has now happened, Putin has put his nuclear arsenal on highest alert. By the looks of it, a nuclear full blast attack is no longer impossible. Right now, we have to come to terms with the real possibility that he will launch on NATO. Which if course will mean the end for most of us.

It still looks like a bad dream. But I fear it will become real any hour or day now.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That “highest alert” is nowadays just a political move- the rockets are “ready to fly” all the time. There was a big difference in the first generation of ICMBs,which could be fueled onfly for couple of hours… Anyway, I don’t believe in collective madness- the most likely outcome is that his gang and oligarchs are removing him- what’s the use of Putin to oligarchs if they cannot use the money? And there are opportunities for the gang once the current king is gone.. Putin and some common russian rednecks might dream of “velijaja derzava”,but you can be quite sure that the “inner circle” is entirely without priciples..

EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

Putin and some common russian rednecks might dream of “velijaja derzava”,but you can be quite sure that the “inner circle” is entirely without priciples..

Does that hold true for Mr Hunter Biden, his old man, and the Comedian? Come to think of it, where is Hunter? Still on the board of Burisma? All gone quite quiet.

Straight question. If Russia, or anyone else for that matter, stuck some nukes in New Mexico what do you believe the response of the US might be? I am genuinely interested. This is the early days of Covid all over again. People are hysterical, media feeding the panic, lots of false info being spread around. We are expected to believe everything we hear, and if you question the narrative people are shouted down and shamed. All sound a bit familiar?

I really do not like being lied to….. lot of BS about

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 27 Feb 17:52
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

the rockets are “ready to fly” all the time

Exactly. That system is fixed. Both the hardware and the chain of command.

If Russia, or anyone else for that matter, stuck some nukes in New Mexico what do you believe the response of the US might be? I am genuinely interested.

Irrelevant.

This is the early days of Covid all over again.

More conspiracy nonsense.

This is an interesting summary.

The “USSR” has blown up the AN-225.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

More conspiracy nonsense.

What is?

EGPF Glasgow
EGPF Glasgow

if you question the narrative

Which one? There is a war (invasion if you like) in Ukraine unilaterally driven by two dictators one in Moscow & one in Minsk, this is a fact !

Are you saying there is more to it on US or Cuba/Mexico sides? can you tell us more?

Not even sure why you are referring to Biden or Mexico, I doubt US (or Biden) cares or give a hoot about Ukraine?

China & US are the obvious winners from this war, the loosers are Ukraine (+ Europe) and Russia

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Feb 18:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It from the Guardian so must be true

Yes of course! I almost forgot. The Guardian is a complete waste of time reading – unless

• you are looking for an English language online paper which has a free website
  • you are on the mainland
  • you are left-leaning
  • you are looking for some anti British material

But there is no point in repeating that material here.

The FT is now free for this coverage so people abroad can read it instead of the Guardian

I doubt US (or Biden) cares or give a hoot about Ukraine?

That may be true, but is irrelevant, because if Putin gets away with Ukraine, he can just move on to every other non NATO country, freely. That is why the West has finally grown a pair of balls. It’s not because they feel for Ukraine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message