Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Coming to a cinema near you - Top Gun movie

Antonio wrote:

should we open a new thread on the matter ?

Sure, brilliant idea!
… on the other hand I’d have to watch both of them Top Guns again, and life’s really too short to loose more time on those, Kelly present or Kelly gone

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I sense in the forum a certain preference for Kelly McGillis vs Jennifer Connelly…should we open a new thread on the matter ?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

Top Gun #1
Good story, good music, Kelly
4.9/5 thru my beamer with the surround full blast, popcorn and a cool one

Top Gun #2
Bad story, average music, Kelly gone 😢
1/5

Certainly appreciation of movies is a matter of taste. I would give the original movie 2/5 and the second one a 3.8/5. But I also did miss Kelly — or rather her character, Charlie.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Antonio wrote:

If Cruise just wanted to make some more business he did not need to get so involved…

That he is a dedicated aviation person is well known, so are his exploits using his private planes like the Mustang, which he used to get the actors used to high G maneuvers.

Appears like whatever he does he knows no half measure. And I guess the military pilots who flew for the movie got to do some interesting stuff too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Agree 100%.

But I still wanna know what he puts on his hair

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not read the BBC article…yet, but before I get dragged into the day’s business, I would like to say I appreciate a lot the personal dedication Tom Cruise put in getting real aviation across to people by producing this movie:

-The obsessive push for minimal CGI
-The drive to make all acting pilots actually fly…and to fly with them
-The numerous additional real F-18 flights at his cost to ensure the right scene
-Taking the financial hit of the delayed debut to ensure the right reach (which resulted in financial return too)

Yes the story is mediocre but in exchange you get a lot of real flying scenery together with a communication of a passion for aviation transpiring all through the movie, both in a way you rarely see nowadays …

IN general, we could use a lot more of that in (general- pun intended) -aviation nowadays.

If Cruise just wanted to make some more business he did not need to get so involved…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter wrote:

CH can be crazy-expensive. I have a Kjus ski jacket, £700 in the UK, €350 mail order from Germany, CHF 1699 in Zermatt

Just on a whim I looked up the price of a lift ticket at Vail, Colorado for mid January – $248 for one DAY. Insane!!!

Same ticket for top Swiss resort, 4 Vallees – ie Verbier, $70.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Between 20 and 30 euros.

Yea, and add 20-30 Euros parking for the car. So for a 3 head family, a night in the cinema costs something like 100-130 Euros. Nope, sorry. The DVD’s usually are around 20 Euros or, if you wait a few years, you can pick them up for 2-3 Euros used.

Dan wrote:

Good thing you can still afford the airplane then

I can’t really. Not unless other people fly it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

CHF 1699 in Zermatt

Yet to meet anyone buying anything in Zermatt

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

way too expensive for a family to go and see a movie these days…. I certainly can’t afford it, not since many years.

Good thing you can still afford the airplane then

Top Gun #1
Good story, good music, Kelly
4.9/5 thru my beamer with the surround full blast, popcorn and a cool one

Top Gun #2
Bad story, average music, Kelly gone 😢
1/5

Last Edited by Dan at 13 Dec 15:46
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
56 Posts