Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is FR24 going down the plughole?

FR24 first, Flightaware second:

The altitude was not ridiculously low, either

This is not a one-off; it’s been the pattern for a year or more. It looks like FR24 is losing the network of receivers which feed the data in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I prefer ADSBEXCHANGE to FR24

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’ve definitely noticed that FlightAware seems to have more granularity than FR24 in recent years, so probably more receivers. I have an old Raspberry Pi in the loft that continuously runs both, so get a free Business subscription to both sites. Both seem fairly straightforward to install and deploy, although FlightAware provides better stats to receiver owners. Both have comprehensive history.

Coverage may differ in other regions.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I’ve definitely noticed that FlightAware seems to have more granularity than FR24 in recent years

The data by FA is usually clean than FR24, not sure if it’s from antenna/coverage? or processing/sampling?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

FR24 first, Flightaware second:

If this is you track, then it’s MLAT, as you don’t radiate ADS-B.

FR has been weak on MLAT traffic ever since I know it, nor was it designed to handle MLAT. Not sure how FA or ADSB-Exchange handle MLAT, FA appears to have a good coverage where this was taken, if ADSB-Exchange does it at all, as the name would suggest it doesn’t.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

FR24 coverage has been getting worse continually.

Something is going on.

Administrator

Possibly suffering from the competition. ADSB Exchange seems to have much better coverage

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

FR24 really is completely useless now. Today’s trip to Dinard:

FR24 – outbound split up into two

Return flight

Flightaware

Administrator

As a FlightRadar volunteer hosting a receiver that also provides a feed to FlightAaware, I received two emails this week from FR24. I guess they are having some tech issues with MLAT in their servers but are unable to fix it at their end.

Important information
If you intend to share data to networks alongside Flightradar24, in your Flightradar24 receiver please disable MLAT to the following settings: MLAT=“no”and MLAT-without-gps=“no”. This is to ensure the quality of the data we receive and use and to reduce incompatibility with other services.

Last Edited by DavidC at 28 May 20:20
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Some years back FR24 had an announcement giving away equipment for people to install at home. I applied, but only received a message that my area was covered well (which is definitely was/is not). Then, perhaps 2-3 years ago, I got another email asking if I were still interested. At that time the fancy for this had passed, so I declined Getting people to install equipment (quality reception, stability, permanent installations), then keeping them interested over longer periods of time is perhaps not an easy task?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message