Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA reviewing the PMD (Pilot Medical Declaration) system - again Nov 2023, Closes 4 Jan 2024

CAA site

Following the launch of Pilot Medical Declarations (PMD) in October 2016, 14,000 PMDs have been submitted.
A post implementation internal review of the PMD process concluded that the PMD process needed to be examined and potentially amended.
In addition, feedback received from the General Aviation (GA) community from the consultation on UK GA opportunities for change now that the UK has left EASA included a suggested review of the PMD process to enhance user experience and identify opportunities in the context of the simplification and rationalisation of GA flight crew licensing.

Pilot_Medical_Declaration_Consultation_CAP2408_pdf

They are saying 4% of pilots with the PMD are not entitled to it so they want to review it. I think this is actually an extremely good figure and would expect to find way more people not entitled to a Class 1, on the grounds of non-declaration of a relevant condition

Also the CAA should be motivated by

• there is no evidence of a reduction in safety – in flight incapacitation is incredibly rare
  • the GA community has gained or retained 14k pilots who are supporting the GA industry which pays heavy licensing fees to the CAA

Here is your chance to respond to their survey.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just completed the survey. I knew nothing about the PMD until now so it was beneficial to skim read the requirements and summary of the previous consultation. Worth noting the deadline for completion is today.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I’ve just done my response.

It’s a worrying survey. Clearly some old farts in the CAA medical dept. have been flexing their muscles. I would have expected them to retire shortly after 1945 but…

Administrator

Have done it. Almost a year now on PMD.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Administrator

I have no skin in this but I’m intrigued by Question 5:

Question 5
What do you believe is the probability of a private pilot becoming incapacitated during a
flight?
1 2 3 4 5

I was always taught that probabilities are in the range 0-1 ???

LFMD, France

Indeed; a weird question to ask about someone’s perception to guide legislation.

It should be driven by actual risk, not what somebody thinks.

That probability is miniscule.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Indeed; a weird question to ask about someone’s perception to guide legislation.

It should be driven by actual risk, not what somebody thinks.

In a democracy? When one wants to be re-elected?

Last Edited by lionel at 28 Mar 08:21
ELLX

CAA officials are not elected. They are appointed by the RAF Retirement Fund Trustees

Administrator

And here we go again. They are doing another “consultation”.

CAA website – I have just done my response.

PMD Consultation PDF

The stated reason:

The PDF contains an interesting paragraph listing the privileges:

The limitation to “G-reg only” has been seemingly replaced with the last bullet point above. And ANO Article 163 supports that.

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message