Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA reviewing the PMD (Pilot Medical Declaration) system - again Nov 2023, Closes 4 Jan 2024

I didn’t know FIs or FEs can use the PMD…

The 2-5.7T band can’t be much used anyway, hence I asked if something happened. Some dodgy stuff in an Aztec? God forbid, never heard of such a thing!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lies, damn lies and statistics….

Looking at what they ask, they seem to want to

• remove the 2,000 – 5,700kg MTOW range from the PMD
  • make it mandatory to make a new PMD every 5 years (2 years for 60+)
  • prevent instructors and examiners from using it
  • prevent cost sharing OR make it mandatory to inform passengers

The one thing that always astonishes me is that people in the CAA waste their time tinkering around rules where there is no problem – and all that based on a statistical analysis which is either utterly incompetent or deliberately misleading. As a reminder – they took a sample of 800 individuals with a PMD, 400 of which were deliberately chosen because the individuals had failed a medical. They found that 4% of these 800 had disqualifying conditions, and used that to build their argument on.

Biggin Hill

You should all make your views known, and push to preserve the existing system. The fact that some 3/4 of the UK PPL population can and is using this concession shows that it is perfectly safe.

Administrator

The two co-exist.

Everybody should file the PMD, just in case. In the past this needed getting the NPPL also (or the old UK National PPL but you could not apply for that unless you held a valid Class 2) but not any more.

Administrator

Is it the case that filing a PMD while holding a Class2 replaces the Class2 with the PMD?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The document contains an interesting number: 14k pilots are on the PMD.

While some of these will be actually flying on C2 medicals (and filed the PMD just in case they need it) this is about 3/4 of the UK private pilot population!

That represents a massive loss of AME business.

Administrator

OK I must have misunderstood previous posts.
Yes if you fail a class2 you go to your GP who signs you off as fit to fly..Assuming of course you are fit. But it of course depends what the AME gives as the reason for your failing class 2. I can’t think.of much off hand that would come into this category. Type 1 diabetes used to be a reason for class 2 failure, or deafness. Neither of these if corrected you would stop you flying a ULM.

France

The PMD system says that if

• you can legally drive a car, and
  • not suffer from certain psycho conditions

you can fly.

No GP involved!

And you can go to the PMD after failing your Class 2 and there is nothing the CAA can do about it. This is obviously a provocative bit.

The PMD is an amazingly far-sighted concession which is fully supported by flight safety data.

The PMD is probably similar to the French UL “medical” (in that there is no “medical”) but I don’t know if you can use that after failing an AME medical.

Administrator

I must admit I had misunderstood what a PMD actually was.
I thought it was if your GP or other doctor said you were fit to fly, you were fit to fly.
After that, unless something occurred during the valitidy period of the medical you just declare you are apte to fly.
But it seems the PMD is a lot more stringent than the ULM medical declaration here.
Still I am glad to see the CAA acknowledging the fact that pilot incapacity in the air is extremely rare.

France
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message