Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical Renewal risks and Cardiovascular Health

Dan wrote:

90/140.

90/140 is normal, is it not? Even if at the limit of the normal range. The hard limit for a class 1 medical is 95/160 according to MED.B.010.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dan wrote:

Never heard about the hibiscus benefits

My wife make these “shots” from citrus fruits, ginger and stuff (don’t know exactly what else). One shot glass each morning Don’t know exactly what it helps for, but it must be a ton of concentrated C vitamins and “ginger stuff” in them That and the ancient old Tran (cod liver oil). Cod liver oil has massive amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D-3. Vitamin D-3 is only found in marine animal oils, and is a necessity for us living with little sunshine during several months of the year. Some years ago my doctor found I had vitamin D deficiency. Today I eat more fish and tran, and no more vitamin D deficiency.

Have to try this hibiscus tea as well.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

90/140 is normal, is it not? Even if at the limit of the normal range. The hard limit for a class 1 medical is 95/160 according to MED.B.010.

That’s pretty high, way above “normal”. This is the average in Norway for men and women according to FHI (Norwegian institute of public health):

Have to add. The data is from a very wide research in Norway. The above is the average (normal). That’s how the blood pressure changes with age. There are two exception to this. People living only “natural lives” (eat and drink only “real” non processed food) and nuns living in monasteries have almost none of this age effect. They blood pressure remains constant for their entire lives. Pretty strange, but must have some explanation.

Last Edited by LeSving at 20 Jan 16:51
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for that @Airborne_Again… call me stupid, but I’ve never dug into that. Since I stopped pro flying, I’m happy maintaining a class 2 medical.

So, page 49 of said document states:
When the blood pressure at examination consistently exceeds 160 mmHg systolic and/or 95 mmHg diastolic, with or without treatment, the applicant should be assessed as unfit.
Which means I’m in reality super fit

2023 tactics have now been revised: salt reduction, printing of the above mentioned page, and loads of hibiscus tea (pity beer, or even better wine, doesn’t really seem to help ).

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Wine is no use for health (other than that if you are p1ssed you are less likely to get angry over something). Doctors recommend it but only because “politics is the art of the possible” and if you remove all the fun, the patient will go into a zero compliance mode.

BP of 90 is too high.

This works great, but I get jumped on when I post it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This works great, but I get jumped on when I post it

How dare you! Think of the ranchers and slaughterhouses!

Actually, I enjoy dead animal, and am not convinced that it’s really bad for you, but then again I tend to seek out information that confirms my biases.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Dropping meat and dairy (well, most of it, since a total avoidance is impossible if you travel) will reduce cholesterol considerably too, as well as reduce your cancer risk since these have lots of nice growth hormones

None of our local meat or dairy has growth hormones.

Andreas IOM

Airborne_Again wrote:

90/140 is normal, is it not? Even if at the limit of the normal range

The NHS says on its website “high blood pressure is considered to be from 140/90mmHg (or an average of 135/85mmHg at home) – or 150/90mmHg (or an average of 145/85mmHg at home) if you’re over the age of 80”

My QardioArm BP device calls 140/90 stage 1 hypertension.

Andreas IOM

None of our local meat or dairy has growth hormones.

They are present anyway. I think especially in dairy, which is intended to make the recipient animal grow.

Maybe I should merge the two threads?

This one started about medical renewal risks. But whatever you can do to improve your medical renewal risks is also good long-term.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

The NHS says on its website “high blood pressure is considered to be from 140/90mmHg

Apparently some sources say that high blood pressure is above 140/90 and other say 140/90 and above. Not that it matters much in practice — the difference between 139/89, 140/90 and 141/91 is negligible…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message