Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electro mechanical de-icing

Came across this ...

What a great solution? Looks like a semi-rigid system and manufacturer claims it is guaranteed for life. No indication of cost and presumably, not a retro-fit system. I understand it is to be used on the Kestrel.

There don't seem to be any manufacturers who appear to be embracing this new technology - just wondering why? Cost? Could be a perfect solution on a Cirrus, or the Cessna version, or the Panthera??

That looks amazing, and I can see why it would draw little power.

The video is dated 2005!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It all depends on the leading edge material. Metal wouldn't stand it as there would be fatigue cracks after some time.

United Kingdom

It should not crack if the movement is nowhere near the elastic limit. Aluminium does, I believe, work harden at stresses that are below its elastic limit, but steel is OK, as would possibly titanium.

These people seem to be using plastic (carbon fibre?).

They mentioned 0.030" (0.76mm) which is quite a lot of movement to do locally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This one and similar systems have been around for decades - the video is from 2005 and he claims that his device has been running since 12 years, which makes 20 in total. When I studied aerospace engineering in the early 1980ies, there were several proposals for piezo-mechanical de-icing devices already. None of these has made it into a commercially available (or certified!) product yet.

Looking at the video, I see several possible areas of trouble which would prevent me from employing it, provided I would be involved in the development of an aeroplane:

• This is electronic/electric/high voltage/high amperage stuff deeply riveted to the inside the leading edges. Prone to get wet my seeping moisture and condensation, but almost unaccessible for maintenance.

• (Sidenote: If they ever want to sell this globally, they should quickly get away from quoting their performance data in fractions of an inch...) As Peter pointed out by translating their inch fractions, what they quote and what they show in the video is not the same. The video shows de-icing devices that shed ice many millimeters thick. The advertised product really is an anti-ice device that must be on before significant ice starts to form. Forget to turn it on - or have quick buildup of ice - and it will be useless.

• What about propellers and windscreens? Flight into known icing requires those to be deiced as well.

• Who knows what "discharging capacitors" along the leading edges will to to your radio and nav equipment? How are they going to shield this sufficiently?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Fatique cracks are well below elastic stress limit. Fatigue occurs when a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading. The number of cycles is as important as the force. I guess there will be many cycles. Steal hardens too. Try your paperclip.

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message