Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney makes a comeback

Well, it costs money, but it can save your life. And who doesn't like it buys a different plane. I for one don't care a bit. 10 K every 10 years for the possibility it one day saves my life .... cheap!

TBO compulsory for all components also for private IFR ops will be a M A S S I V E show stopper over here. The killer is the kalendar limit, not so much the 2000 or so hours.

I don't think EASA will implement a time limit for non commercial privately owned aircraft below 2,73tons the way you describe it (even flying IFR) About 25 years ago the airlines and most air forces of the western hemisphere recognized the bullsh.. and started to convince the authorities of "on condition" treatment of aircraft components especially regarding the time limit.

What does MT Props do when they discover a new prop lying in their shop for more than six years? Shredder it? Do a complete overhaul? I don't think so. Like the butchers they put a new label on it

Permanent engine readings ( nowadays automatically recorded ) are for example a means favored by the airlines to satisfy the safety responsibility of our CAAs. Cylinder compression values are the equivalent with smaller GA aircraft.

EDxx, Germany

Cylinder compression values are the equivalent with smaller GA aircraft.

Sorry nobbi, but this myth has been debunked years ago; compression readings by themselves do not say much. Borescopy is now the standard for assessing the condition of the top end.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

However, a low compression with no apparent valve leaks means either the piston rings are shagged or there is a crack somewhere...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, with TCM engines this has been dismissed years ago. Esoecially the big ones are known to change their compression almost daily. It is not rare that an IO-550 has a 55/80 compression one day and 70/80 a couple of days later. ONLY if boroscopy reveals a problem with the cylinders/valves or if there is excessive oil consumption action is necessary - in most cases.

TCM has found in tests that even engines with compression values around 55 develop full takeoff power and are absolutely airworthy

I wonder why that would be. Mine have been 78 or 79 over 80, 11 years running.

Administrator

Not really. Experience tells that the method is just too haphazard. Re-do the check a few moments later and -phew- compression is back to normal. Borescopes have become so cheap nowadays, there is no excuse for making statements about the engine's health without a borescope inspection.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yours is a Lycoming IO-540, and the above is not completely transferable to it. But what's also true: most cylinder replacements are compl. unnecessary.

You have to fly the a/c for one hour and then redo the check, but if there us no exc. oil consumption and the boriscope finds no problem the cylinder stays on, even with 50/80

TCM has found in tests that even engines with compression values around 55 develop full takeoff power and are absolutely airworthy

It will be the case that 55/80 is not going to lose power, because not enough gas can escape fast enough to make a difference to a running engine.

But what the 55 figure tells you is that something is coming apart and if not looked at, it could get bad pretty quick.

Certainly the engine has to be warmed up etc before doing a comp check.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message