Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical horror stories

Basic indoor clothing can be down to about 1kg. A t-shirt is 0.2kg, for example. But if one is that marginal…?

At anywhere near the relevant BMI level, i.e. starting at a pretty high weight point, one could lose 1kg by eating more veg, for 1 week. In fact one could probably lose 1kg just by replacing dairy milk with oat or soya milk, in 1 week. I did it… and I wasn’t starting from a high point (81kg → 74kg in a few months, and I never ate proper junk like jacket potatoes full of cheese, in the first place). If starting from a high point (in my case, 1.75m, it may have been 100kg+) shedding weight initially is really easy, with a bit of mental focus. The last few kg takes the longest…

Cut out cakes, snacks, biscuits, and you will be there in no time. Cut out “junk snacks” between meals. My GF is a qualified nutritionist. She doesn’t practice anymore, partly because almost every client’s food diary turned out to be partly fiction.

It is however likely impossible without a partner buy-in. Nobody is going to cook 2 meals. And this is at the root of much of the “health” issue. People partner-up according to similar characteristics, attitudes to health, etc.

We did all this in the health thread.

Fernando’s original post should be a thread entitled “why you should not change your AME until he/she is retired or dead”. I have never known anybody (older than say 20s) who changed their AME without a fantastically strong reason.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Fernando’s original post should be a thread entitled “why you should not change your AME until he/she is retired or dead”. I have never known anybody (older than say 20s) who changed their AME without a fantastically strong reason.

One more reason in my opinion: because you move to a different country, which makes traveling to your previous AME quite expensive and inconvenient. With that I’ve done all the named reasons! Moving to Norway, AME retired,AME died, and last one I used might well be in the retired category next time I need him, crossing my fingers!

ENVA, Norway

If you really need to squeak through a medical, eat almost nothing for 24 hours prior. You will lose about 1.5kg, simply because your gut is almost empty. When I say “almost nothing”, just a few veggies and maybe a small piece of fish at dinner time.

I have to make an effort to keep my weight under control. The first day is always a pleasure when I weigh myself the following morning. Unfortunately after that it’s more like 0.5kg per day.

LFMD, France

BMI is a fairly useful indicative measurement for most people.

For any system of measurement that combines two or more parameters to get an output that is then applied to a scale, you will get edge cases where the outcome it produces is not useful or sometimes downright misleading.

For BMI, the most obvious ones are bodybuilders and other ‘power’ athletes. For the rest of us, it’s a pretty good yardstick.

EGLM & EGTN

For any system of measurement that combines two or more parameters to get an output that is then applied to a scale, you will get edge cases where the outcome it produces is not useful or sometimes downright misleading

I agree about the concept, I will still get really pissed about such simplification, I would have told my AME, “how comes it takes 2 parameters to measure the size of your a***e but only 1 parameter to measure my flying future”

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Mar 12:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I couldn’t agree more. A bit of context – naively, I thought that going to a different doctor within the same company would be the same. I was wrong. They have two different locations and I changed from one to another.

Will never do the same mistake again.

Going back to the beginning, I started my first post but saying I felt humiliated. The point I wanted to make is that for us pilots, a medical is very important. I wish there was a bit more humanity or compassion when there is some bad news. But again, my middle name is Naive.

On a positive note, the outcome of the appointment did fire me up to change things. My body will thank me, and my wife will be able to take a bit of extra luggage.

As always, I’ve very grateful for all your thoughts and suggestions.

EGSU, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message