Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sea Plane Rating Scotland

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good place to do the Sea Plane SEP rating in Scotland??

Thanks

Mark

PS A nice down to earth instructor is a bonus!!

On Track Aviation, only game in town.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

West Coast of Canada has several very good seaplane instructors, or if you are looking for some sun, Jack Browns school in Florida is highly regarded and even with the travel probably cheaper then Scotland

Wine, Women, and Airplanes = Happy
Canada

http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Not Scotland but Greenville, Maine was lovely and would be a great place to do the rating.

EGTK Oxford

I did a few hours with Caledonian Seaplanes a few years ago - on Loch Earn.

Wasn't particularly impressed and the weather didn't help either. Super Cub on floats, seaplane parked on the water on a jetty a stones throw from a reasonable hotel . . .

EuropaBoy
EGBW

I did a few hours with Caledonian Seaplanes a few years ago - on Loch Earn.>

If this is the same company I am thinking of I believe they have stopped operating. I recently bought an Avgas bowser from a lady in Perthsire who traded as Calendonian with a Cub and a Husky on Loch Earn but stopped flying a few years back.

Farm strip in Angus Scotland

Hamish is probably worth the effort contacting. He's an effective instructor and very personable. Whether or not he'll be able to offer training towards a rating is another matter given his commitments. His 172 is absolutely splendid if a bit lacking in performance. Scotland is just like BC only in miniature. I went to Canada last year for training on a 180H. Flight from Glasgow-Vancouver direct for £700 return. B&B Can$575 for a week. Very pleased with training, customer service. Very friendly, and utterly stunning location. Effective hourly rate about £50/hr cheaper than here, offsetting travel cost somewhat. In Scotland you'll probably be restricted to loch operation. In bc I got coastal and lake experience, river as well. There's really only the Clyde you can operate from here. It's not a real river - not like the Fraser!

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message