Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portugal imposes carbon tax on GA

This popped up on FB.

Last Friday, the government here introduced a carbon tax. It means that for а 100km flight in something like a C152, you’ll have to pay an additional 44 Euros to the state.
For the mathematically inclined, the rate is calculated as: Rate = 2 [basic rate of carbon tax] * 10 [fixed coefficient] * S [number of seats in the acft but never more than 19] * (D [distance in 1/1000s of kilometres] + 1) .
The flight a friend and I did last week (Cascais → Amendoeira gliding club → Portimao → Cascais) would, then, work out at:
2 * 10 * 2 [C152] * (0.452 + 1) = 58 Eur in tax.
This new tax does not apply to flights in electric aircraft, or flights conducted for the purposes of instruction. Naturally, it doesn’t apply to military aircraft, air ambulances, police etc., either.
The plan is that each owner or operator must inform the tax authority about distance flown, on a monthly basis. Allegedly, there will be a website for that.
A lot of things remain unclear (for instance, how will they tax local flights where distance flown cannot be established?), so I suppose we’ll see how it works in reality.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You mean 2€ per pax? I think most southern Europe airports have found that way to pass that to passengers well before these regulations comes in…

https://econews.pt/2023/04/21/private-jets-start-paying-carbon-tax-in-july/

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 09:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My mistake it seems here with an amendment for distance flown, anyone speaks Portuguese?

https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/portaria/110-2023-212137580

The thing is GA already has quite a large carbon tax in the form of duty and VAT on fuel (which airlines don’t pay). As a carbon tax it works well because it is directly proportional to how much you use, and doesn’t require any complex self-reporting.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

The thing is GA already has quite a large carbon tax in the form of duty and VAT on fuel (which airlines don’t pay). As a carbon tax it works well because it is directly proportional to how much you use, and doesn’t require any complex self-reporting.

VAT is not a carbon tax. (Also GA do not pay VAT on fuel in all countries.) Duties are not necessarily carbon-related either.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Apr 11:01
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One is reminded of a certain film

Silvaire wrote:

One is reminded of a certain film

I don’t recall that either VAT, Duty or Carbon tax featured in that film.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

For the mathematically inclined, the rate is calculated as: Rate = 2 [basic rate of carbon tax] * 10 [fixed coefficient] * S [number of seats in the acft but never more than 19] * (D [distance in 1/1000s of kilometres] + 1) .
The flight a friend and I did last week (Cascais → Amendoeira gliding club → Portimao → Cascais) would, then, work out at:
2 * 10 * 2 [C152] * (0.452 + 1) = 58 Eur in tax.

I can’t find any relationship to the burnt fuel. That would mean that a L-29 (2 seats) will pay the same as a 2seater microlight. That can’t be right.

EDQH, Germany

I can’t find any relationship to the burnt fuel. That would mean that a L-29 (2 seats) will pay the same as a 2seater microlight. That can’t be right.

It’s unfair to gliders

Portaria n.º 110/2023, art 14(2)(d): “a taxa … não se aplica … [a]os voos de instrução”.

Presumably this exemption for instructional flights will not apply to hour building.

London, United Kingdom
77 Posts
Sign in to add your message