CREATED: 29 Apr 2023 05:52:00
SOURCE: EUECYIYN

Clearly this guy has got it wrong – well at least for Belgium

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We use to have that at Damyns Hall (EGML) closed 3 days for “We Are Festival”

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Apr 09:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That should read “illegal rave party”. 5000 people running around not knowing the difference between an active runway and a Lidl parking lot.

Last Edited by airways at 29 Apr 10:14
EBST, Belgium

Conclusion: GA people are still boring :D

EBMO, EBKT

International Airport raves, 9000 foot runway….The odd Jumbo

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

88NV for Burning Man

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Who says GA is a load of boring people? The UK Flyer Forum.

Have you seen that group’s posts? A clique of circa (seemingly) 90yr old men longing for the “old days” with excessive use of apostrophes to emulate 1930’s dialect in their posts.

Then they wonder why GA isn’t “selling itself” to the younger generation.

Last Edited by HeliPilot at 04 May 07:54
United Kingdom

Great vid @Capitaine. Burning man is a bucket list for me, never been. Perhaps one day..

Loved the TSA clearance element

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

@HeliPilot the only bit I disagree with is the bit about apostrophes EuroGA was set up over 10 years ago because the two major sites at the time melted down into cliquey “pubs” on which beating up was encouraged to drive advert clicks. One of them then continued to melt down almost completely.

GA is attractive to younger people, but only the elements which are social i.e. aerobatics and gliding. There you do a lot of chitchat, then you might get a short flight, then you do more chitchat, then you go down the pub. The men are young and virile and probably do wingsuit flying in their spare time It’s no coincidence that these are the parts of GA where nearly all women in GA are found

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

HeliPilot wrote:

excessive use of apostrophes

All I can think of is:

• ‘chute (n) silken gadget used to bail out, esp. if pranged by a bogey; brolly
  • ‘drome (n) where one pancakes one’s kite or crate; aero-drome
  • ‘phone (n) ground communication contraption; blower

There is a Wikipedia page on RAF slang to aid translation; more terms are in British English usage than I expected. The language is highly figurative and usually disparaging. Nowadays it’s nearly impossible to achieve a 1930s Bertie Wooster-esque insouciance and not come across as affected or pretentious.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message