Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reckless flying, promoted on YouTube

@UdoR thanks. So, a follow-up question: In such situation, would it have been OK to descent via the window visible at 19:23 (perhaps temporarily increasing the descent rate) or it is too small and you need much bigger separation from clouds?

Slovakia

Found the part where the “story” of an engine out is told. There is no video footage about that, just story telling.

Germany

@esteban depends on the airspace you’re flying in. It’s between “free of clouds” to 1.5 kilometres laterally away from clouds.

Germany

I’m always amazed at the time disposal you guys have, being able to watch all these flight vids

Still, intrigued by this very thread I quick forward/stop rewind the interesting bits of the vid.
Verdict: not being any close to white as snow, I will sure not throw any stone.

One very recent YT comment (no, not mine ), Deepl translation:
Absolutely irresponsible and not worthy of imitation. The handling of the critical situation of the engine, the behavior depicted between flights and the comments that completely ridicule the seriousness of the situation are exactly what we pilots want to avoid. Daredevils without any sense of safety and reason endanger not only themselves, but also others in the air and on the ground, as well as the reputation of the otherwise very reasonable pilot guild.

Note: the recrudescence of all these kind of vids, crazy stunts, impossible bush flying, you name it, is setting a trend which is definitely unhealthy. Top that up with glass panels augmented by autopilots hi-perf ULs, and it can give a sensation of invincibility, still unhealthy on different levels…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I think “arrival phase” of flight officially starts 25nm around your destination

Reference please

there is no explicit rule stating this

Indeed; the UK wording is quite different

But anyway this flight wasn’t in the UK.

Is the flying around 19:20 really that reckless

The video cuts out the bit where they were in something like solid IMC, so it’s hard to say, but I would say this is not legal VFR even as shown. But, everybody does this, I did it on every long “VFR” flight simply because one can’t control where clouds happen to be Normally I flew VMC on top (using oxygen as needed) but sometimes one climbs or descends through cloud, and the important thing is to do it safely. Would I have posted illegal flying on YT? No. Can you get busted for it? Probably not, not least because they can’t prove the date+time.

The commentary I can’t comment on because I can’t speak German.

YT is full of dodgy flying videos. Some quite gory, too… They tend to be taken down after a bit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What if they were on VFR clearance inside controlled airspace (radio audio) while in IMC?

Not legally possible, obviously.

What did the pilot say which was objectionable? Feel free to PM

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

What if they were on VFR clearance inside controlled airspace (radio audio) while in IMC?

The rest can’t be policed, especially OCAS

@Ibra, I think the usual defence will be “the camera shows the picture worse than it was, the real weather was VMC”, very hard to counter that.

And I’m here with @Peter on rules – it needs to be done safely, usually the difference between a VFR aircraft and an IFR aircraft is just in paperwork and depends on the country (part of Scandinavia & USA are much better in that sense – everything equipped IFR is IFR-capable), but I digress…

EGTR

Here is another from the same guy, going straight for some showers, but nothing possibly illegal there

Administrator

Am not sure they are proselytising reckless aeronautical decision making, and each pilot is expected to set their own, sensible standards and behaviour. While (I think Elon Mask said this) in theory you can learn everything on You Tube, not sure this video would make, other than the most susceptible of pilots, change their approach to safe flying.

I see the aircraft in the video is quite active and for sale

https://aviationsalesinternational.com/en/tarragon-i-d260

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In the ad it says it’s an experimental. So no microlight?

I don’t get it why it’s on sale, because it had been sold only in December…

Anyway, 200 hp on that plane sounds interesting. :-)

Germany
Sign in to add your message