Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reckless flying, promoted on YouTube

Discussion on going below 500ft is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

talking about reckless flying… though probably not for promotion, and on FB

very low pass…

Last Edited by Dan at 07 May 10:03
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

talking about reckless flying… though probably not for promotion, and on FB

very low pass…

Ploughing that’s part of agricultural flying.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I doubt that (extremely lucky to be alive) pilot would have promoted that video himself.

And I am still waiting for a translation from German of the alleged juicy bits. Any bets of it never turning up? I think I know the answer…

Administrator

It’s amazing to me that the wing dragging RV didn’t cartwheel. The wing attachment structure surely needs inspection. Appears to have been in Argentina.

Frans wrote:

Italian-registered ultralight aircraft

Is it? According to the factory website they are delivered with Rotax 914 or 915. This one had a big 6 cylinder ULPower of 180? HP, perhaps 200, and substantially heavier than a 914/915. By the trouble they had, it also looks like the fuel system was a mess, which point towards “home made” work rather than factory installation (but then again, lots of factories have problems getting engine installations right).

To me it looks like some kind of experimental rather than an UL. It could also be an UL, but heavily modified with a different, heavier and much more powerful engine. Still within 600 kg limit with 2 persons, full fuel and some luggage?, doubtful but not entirely impossible. Not the most likeable persons perhaps (the way old school British gentlemen are likeable), but being likeable like that is not a prerequisite to be “big” on YouTube

I don’t know what to say. He obviously has flown a lot, and has a vide experience by the the looks of it. I didn’t see anything that couldn’t be attested to “camera effects”. I have never though of a thin layer of scattered semi transparent dots of fog as clouds.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ah well, no worries, strobe light still OK

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

talking about reckless flying… though probably not for promotion

He was two inches from erasing few members of the public, that was very reckless indeed

This is different from going into clouds in BRS/AP equipped UL

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 May 22:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is different from doing some silly flying and then putting your video on YT boasting about it, which was the original thread start. I think people find that hard to understand.

There are many YT vids of other people crashing or nearly crashing, often filmed (unauthorised, I reckon, often) by a passenger, but they would probably have been happier to not have been videoed.

Administrator

Dan wrote:

Note: the recrudescence of all these kind of vids, crazy stunts, impossible bush flying, you name it, is setting a trend which is definitely unhealthy. Top that up with glass panels augmented by autopilots hi-perf ULs, and it can give a sensation of invincibility, still unhealthy on different levels…
Exactly. And this is why I named the topic “reckless flying, promoted on YT”. This is not the flying one should promote on the internet, especially not, considering non-aviators and beginners do watch these videos as well. What if a student pilot watch this cowboy stuff? Should it be a motivation to fly VFR into solid IMC?

The creator of the mentioned video, has also another channel, where a video of another Mallorca flight (also with a Tarragon if I remember correctly) was removed some time ago. I can’t remember what exactly went wrong there, but it was also heavily criticized on the internet.

If one watches the comments on the video, the creators are stating that this is all “hollywood” kind of stuff. The flight was not performed as IFR, it just looks like it… In my eyes, this is a typical excuse or “disclaimer”, so they can’t get sued for it.

esteban wrote:
Naiive question of a non-flyer: Is the flying around 19:20 really that reckless?
To be honest, the part around 19:20 is indeed not that reckless… However as said by @UdoR, flying through clouds is illegal while flying VFR, especially in a UL. Let’s make it clear: I’m also not a holy person, and I wouldn’t have created this topic or made any comment at all, if it was just that scene. But if you watch the beginning, where they fly VFR into solid IMC between 0:47 and 1:15, or how they tell their story (in German) like cowboys with a “look at us, how cool we are” attitude, fly a UL into IMC conditions at all, and using inappropriate language… Exactly that entire picture promotes reckless “cowboy” flying.

Peter wrote:
The video cuts out the bit where they were in something like solid IMC,
The scenes between 0:47 and 1:15 seem to be solid IMC. You can’t tell me that modern action cams in Full HD, are not able to show the earth’s surface in this kind of weather conditions. Especially the parts, where the video shows a wing or the backseat, there is zero earth view, and seem to be solid IMC.

Peter wrote:
But, everybody does this
Really?! The beginning doesn’t look like short cloud breaking or so, but a solid IMC flight over a longer period of time, without IFR pickup. OK, I can’t judge on how long exactly the VFR into IMC flight was, but it seems not just for a short cloud break to get on top. And I dearly hope nobody really does fly intentionally VFR in IMC for a longer period of time. I’ve never done it and fortunately, never saw something like that on YT. Another thing is a short cloud break or picking up IFR once in the air, which I certainly don’t want to blame in general at all.

LeSving wrote:
Is it? (…) To me it looks like some kind of experimental rather than an UL. It could also be an UL, but heavily modified with a different, heavier and much more powerful engine.
According to the manufacturer’s website (Pelegrin), the Tarragon is only available as ultralight. Also, if I’m informed correctly, certified or experimental aircraft have only letters if they have an Italian registration. This one in the video comes with numbers as well, which should be an ultralight registration, but please correct me if I’m wrong. Therefore, it seems to be indeed a modified UL.

Peter wrote:
And I am still waiting for a translation from German of the alleged juicy bits. Any bets of it never turning up?
The voice-over in the video got translated into English by the author in the YT comments. Otherwise, the “juicy bits” of inappropriate language is for adults only.

Dan wrote:
I’m always amazed at the time disposal you guys have, being able to watch all these flight vids
That is only possible due to a pretty amazing Google algorithm, which recommends videos like these. Otherwise I mostly watch subscribed channels in the late evening (instead of regular TV) or early morning, when I have some time before or after sleeping.
Last Edited by Frans at 08 May 09:04
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message