Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bad books not to read (aviation related)

In opposition to the thread Good books to read

Just finished the book “Stuka Pilot” by Hans Ulrich Rudel, Lynton Hudson (Translator), in English language since I could not source it in a German digital version.
I can only echo the words of this reviewer:
Huge disappointing. The book is terribly written (or perhaps translated, who the hell writes a memoir in present tense?) It’s full of typos and factual errors. Its “human side” is also disappointing, I have learnt very little about its author except that he was a Nazi idiot who idolized Hitler. It’s the worst WWII autobiography I have read so far. Avoid at all costs.

Did anyone had a go at the original German version, and is it any good?

Last Edited by Dan at 18 May 15:27
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Anything by Dan Brown – what a hopeless writer. How he got so popular, I can’t imagine. (OK, it’s not aviation related).

LFMD, France

A bit odd to place this here, but I found a site that probably most of you guys already new, and that is a mine for past aviation magazines, movies, books (amongst others the one cited above), etc, with a good part of the stuff free to download, all to be found here Internet Archive

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

johnh wrote:

How he got so popular, I can’t imagine.

Da Vinci code did that because it made a long “known” theme popular with loads of people. Combination of thriller with a major and reasonably well known “secret society” made it fairly successful. Under these conditions, writing skills per se are not the main criteria why something becomes popular.

(I recall that many English scholars talk very badly of Agatha Christie’s writing style too. Did not faze her success one tiny bit though….)

Dan wrote:

all to be found here Internet Archive

Yea, that site is an absolute gem!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one