Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions relating to the use of French R/T at uncontrolled airports

A lot of people are contacting me re: French R/T as the summer flying season begins, so I put together a little video outlining some of the basics.

There is also an article on my site here: https://lingaero.com/flying-in-france-fr-only-and-issues-surrounding-the-use-of-french-for-radio-communications-2/

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Hey Jim, good video! Thanks for sharing it.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Jim does great stuff but my view remains that if you try speaking French but actually can’t, one day somebody will reply in French and then you will be stuffed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it compulsory at most of these fields to have a radio? If not I presume you can also go NORDO…

EHRD, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Jim does great stuff but my view remains that if you try speaking French but actually can’t, one day somebody will reply in French and then you will be stuffed

Perhaps, but if you keep making calls with your limited French at least the others will know what you are up to. I very rarely speak French at any airport in France or French-speaking Switzerland, and probably 90% of my lifetime flying has been here. Never got a single complaint, in fact, some have said that they appreciate it as it helps them learn English phraseology. Obviously I try to leave my Texas drawl at home use as correct phraseology as I know. Many of the pilots in this area have far better English RTF than I do, since they did it as a day job for 35-40 years.

No doubt there is someone out there that has had a bad experience with one of these “French Only” airfields, but I would not let that limit your flying.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I would also not let it limit your flying either. Yes most of these airfields need radio these days.
I have seen a few near misses here because the French pilots have not understood English calls.
So I think Jim is giving very good advice.
When you are talking about these small airfields you have to remember that some 90% of those in the circuit hardly speak a word of English and what phrases thy jave learnt such as “My tailor is very rich he has rwo suits” and “where is Brian, Brian is in the kitchen” doesn’t exactly help them to understand that you are “overhead” or “downwind”. with or without Texas drawl .And the circuit isn’t a good place to learn new vocabulary🙂

France

@Bordeaux_Jim Thanks for the video. Very helpful. You mention on your website:

“If your French is sufficiently fluent, the French DGAC organise French Language Proficiency tests on request. A handful of licensing states will add it to your licence.”

Are those only France, Belgium, and Switzerland? Also, can you do a proficiency test in Belgium?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I only just got around to watching the video, but agree it is good.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message