Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen presentation at Shoreham EGKA 23/11/2013

Being based there myself I think this is relevant enough:

The UK Jeppesen Sales and Service team from Crawley in the UK, supporting the ‘General Aviation’ division, are having a ‘Roadshow’ to promote the new Jeppesen Flitedeck VFR Flight planning solution Application for the Ipad.

We have booked an event on Saturday the 23rd of November at Shoreham Airport between the hours of 1pm-5pm, to introduce the new App and learn whether it’s of interest to assist our customers current flying habits.

We’d like to hear from you-whether :

* This app is of use to you?
* We can engage any other related discussions, we can have on the day.

If this is something that would be of interest, please let us know the names of any participants who will like to attend and their email address.
We’ll then follow up with a formal invitation with details of the event location and agenda for the afternoon.

I thank you for your time and co-operation in advance

Best regards
Jemma Saint
Customer Consultant
General Aviation

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Nov 22:16
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d have love to have come to this, but I cant as thats the day after I fly my plane to Bournemouth for it to be re-sprayed, and I am on a photo-shoot on this day. Can I request that if there is a presentation, that they share it with you, to be put on here? Absolutely gutted I wont be able to make it.

Just bumping this one up a bit, in case anybody wants to come along.

Yes I will pick up a copy of a presentation, if there is one.

I live 15 mins away so could meet up for lunch with anyone turning up. Actually having an early lunch is a good idea at Shoreham these days, due to the chronic shortage of tables in the very busy cafe.

Administrator

I was shown the new user interface at Jeppesen’s booth at Tannkosh. The idea is good, but it’s iPad only (so far, not a word of possible future Windows or Android versions), and VFR data are only available for 5 countries in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What products are these? The ones I know about, off the top of my head, are

• JeppTC – terminal charts display program, I believe being discontinued (but if you have it on your Ipad, it still works)
  • JeppFD – as above but some moving map GPS capability, over a routepack route you can load, somehow
  • One app (don’t recall the name) which displays the new vector VFR charts, which they have for just a few countries – this is supposed to replace the Raster Charts product and also their printed “VFR/GPS” charts, and is supposed to do basically what Skydemon does
  • Jeppview 4 – a windows app which displays their terminal charts and some simple enroute charts, and is their main “professional customer” terminal chart product, but has no usable route planning capability
  • Flitestar – an old windows flight planning app, which does “everything”, can run the Raster Charts, does plogs, the whole lot, but rumours are that it will be discontinued. If you install Jeppview in the same directory, you can display the terminal charts from within Flitestar.

The first 2 cannot generate hard copy. If the 3rd one cannot do hard copy either it will be a total waste of time for many pilots, because there will be no way to create a backup to fly with.

Anyway, Peter Mundy (a Jepp dealer) knows all this stuff intimately. Maybe he can update the current status?

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 16:24
Administrator

If the 3rd one cannot do hard copy either it will be a total waste of time for many pilots, because there will be no way to create a backup to fly with.

Peter, printed charts are on the way of the Dodo. And he couldn’t fly…

I’ve played around a bit with the Jepp App. IMHO they are trying to reinvent the wheel – which has already been perfected by others. They emailed me for feedback and I told them to scrap the thing and sell their charting product as add-on for Foreflight. THIS would really be a winning combo for anyone based in Europe! I guess they didn’t want to hear that…..

One app (don’t recall the name) which displays the new vector VFR charts, which they have for just a few countries – this is supposed to replace the Raster Charts product and also their printed “VFR/GPS” charts, and is supposed to do basically what Skydemon does

Jeppesen Mobile Flitedeck VFR. Does what SkyDemon does, minus about 80% of generally useful gizmo’s and others niceties. OK’ish at a basic moving map / flight planning product, if thats all one needs.

printed charts are on the way of the Dodo

Taking the JeppFD-VFR, and assuming (probably correctly) that the pilot didn’t spend the £14 on the CAA VFR chart either, what is the backup for when the Ipad packs up?

Does what SkyDemon does, minus about 80% of generally useful gizmo’s and others niceties. OK’ish at a basic moving map / flight planning product, if thats all one needs.

Yes; the other products are way ahead of Jepp now, but Jepp have

• the name
  • the databases, flight tested over years

What Jepp don’t have is

• customer service
  • massive threads on certain pilot forums advertising the product
  • a certain amount of “cult” following

Time will tell… with most VFR flight being very short-distance, Jepp’s better database quality may not be such a marketing advantage in the end.

I told them to scrap the thing and sell their charting product as add-on for Foreflight

I think they would not like that because the IOS platform totally prevents piracy – until the product gets installed onto a jailbroken Ipad (and then everybody can have it) but they will assume that is a nonexistent problem.

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 16:54
Administrator

I think they would not like that because the IOS platform totally prevents piracy – until the product gets installed onto a jailbroken Ipad (and then everybody can have it) but they will assume that is a nonexistent problem.

Don’t understand what you mean here. I seriously think it would be a great idea if one could buy the Jepp charting product as a legit add-on to Foreflight (which doesn’t have Euro coverage – alas!). As for the backup – we’ve already discussed this here, second iPad, iPhone, Garmin 430, 530, 1000 – take your pick.

To be clear – I personally quite like paper charts, especially for planning, but they are obsolete.

Oh, and btw, the ‘walled garden’ of Apple is one of the reasons why quite a few developers with IP to protect love it. From what I know there’s no protection whatsoever on Android.

Last Edited by 172driver at 18 Nov 17:08

The iOS platform is not so secure as one may think. Everybody can download the JeppFD app for free from the App Store and via the darker corners of the internet is possible to get a world wide VFR+IFR unlocked JeppFD install on your iPad (not jailbroken). The funny thing is that not pilots are interested in this kind of illegal “work around”, but flight sim enthousiast are. I for was blown away when a flight sim “pilot” friend showed me the last plates of EHAM (or SKBO if you prefer) from the last AIRAC cycle a few months ago…

The downside of Jepp is that they are expensive. To bad they don’t have a good competitor here in Europe. I agree with Peter that Jeppesen has “the name”. It also has the advantage that every IR or ATPL educated pilot will get this Jeppesen supplied student pilot route manual, which helps people get used to their format. Most of the flying schools I know here in The Netherlands provide 1 pc at the flight school/club where you can print the Jepp plates required for your flight. So they have an edge over the AIP supplied format. I wish EASA would make the AIP plates mandatory in training, that would keep the market position of Jeppesen in a more healthy status. At least, that is my opinion on this.

I tried the Jeppesen Flitedeck VFR Flight planning solution Application for iPad (why such a long name? Just call it JeppVFR or something like that) and was not impressed. SkyDemon still has the edge like PiperArcher points out. I don’t agree with Peter that the database quality of SkyDemon is worse than that of Jeppesen. Last year I flew through Italy with then current Jeppesen VFR/GPS charts and the TMA boundary in the vicinity of Rome was indicated with a wrong altitude, SD was correct. In the end they both get there data from the same Eurocontrol source.

As for backups, I have an iPhone next to my iPad, but I’ve never used it for that purpose. It’s easy to sync pdf’s or other info with all these cloud solutions around between your devices. Paper is not a backup for me. I only use it for writing down clearances as I can’t do that properly on the iPad. (although this might help, but I don’t know if it can handle the “wrist” problem while writing)

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message