Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An interesting article on GA aircraft noise levels

Here

Curiously enough I found about the same level in the TB20 – best part of 90db – using a crude sound level meter on my Nokia 808 phone.

This is a very good reason for using the best headset available.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, 90 db seems right.

‘Best’ is a funny word, but I’ve found noise canceling headsets universally improve my flying due to less distraction from noise. I use a Zulu because it’s comfortable and provides good head room, but previous use of a budget Lightspeed noise canceling headset seemed to reduce noise about the same as the Zulu… which cost twice as much.

I was once worried about battery life and my aircraft seemingly being powered by large quantities of AA batteries and suction cups, but the headset batteries last a long time.

My hobbies all have the possibility to produce hearing damage. I don’t ride motorcycles without ear plugs either, and haven’t for about 20 years including when it was (for some bizarre reason) locally illegal.

My otherwise pretty healthy 85 year old father is deaf as a post and although he benefits greatly from super high tech $$$ €€€ £££ hearing aids, I’d prefer if possible to go in a different direction. Time will tell.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Nov 01:59

If memory serves me correctly 80pndb was the maximum recommended continual exposure level – which equates to the sound level on a London underground train

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

THe SR22 is even louder than the TB20 … no fun without my BOSE A20s…. I even bought 2 for the kids … spent almost € 3800 on headsets … (i do not tell that my non-flying friends…)

I recall the SR22 being significantly more noisy than my TB20, and that is why I am suprised (not wishing to open that old can of worms again ) why Cirrus went for the throttle-rpm linkage, which produces a higher than necessary engine RPM for most flying regimes.

The Bose A20 is an outstanding headset. I have two of them now. When I first started using them (from Bose X) I thought there was something wrong with the engine… so I checked the instruments but could not see anything out of line.

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 13:51
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is – very likely – down to the doors. The Colucessnavalis 400 whatever has inflatable door seals, switching them on makes a huge difference in noise level at higher speeds, very noticeable even through ANR headsets (Bose X at the time). Shame that they always get punctured due to the door latching mechanism.

Attitudes change over time – when I learned to fly, a headset was a luxury and all school planes had a speaker and a hand-held microphone. Only the higher-end ones had intercoms, and that was normal at the time.

Biggin Hill

In the good old days, perhaps not so good, headphones weren’t used or indeed available to the average GA pilot. It would part explain why my hearing is not as sharp as it should be and why Mum is as deaf as a door post now.

Picture of me a moon or two ago zooting around sans headphones. Like with GPS, I loved it when I got my first set of headphones. It go very tiring trying to listen to ATC on a less than perfect speaker – say again please, I say, SAY AGAIN PLEASE. Hehehehehehe.

Hmm, cant seem to get the picture to display. Doh.

[fixed – on Photobucket use the Direct Link – also see Posting Tips]

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 14:33
Last Edited by Bloomer at 18 Nov 14:27
Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

The Bose A20 is an outstanding headset. I have two of them now. When I first started using them (from Bose X) I thought there was something wrong with the engineā€¦ so I checked the instruments but could not see anything out of line.

I have these and find them to offer just a tiny amount of noise cancellation, even compared to the bog standard Dave Clark non-noise cancelling headsets.

[quote fixed (use the Quote button having swiped the text to be quoted first) but the URL is still dead]

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Nov 14:55

Thank Peter.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

My first instructor was an ex Dutch Navy pilot (Catalina) who was most miffed when I refused to fly with him without a headset – if only to reduce the volume of his constant screaming at me

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message