Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

U.S. IFR Magazine - any good?

This mag has been around for years.

A while ago a friend, living in the USA, sent me a load of copies and it was great reading.

However I wonder how good it is today, because e.g. this article on FAA policy on known icing is years out of date.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I subscribe to it, but I am finding it too US centric these days, (a lot of ATC stuff not relevant to rest of world ) and the lack of an electronic version and very antiquated subscription system is putting me off renewing…

The approach plate interpretation articles are always of value though.
E

Last Edited by eal at 20 Nov 00:21
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

I subscribed to it for a couple of years, then stopped when it seemed to start repeating itself. US focused and some of the content was not impressive quality.

Last Edited by huv at 20 Nov 11:35
huv
EKRK, Denmark

I have written articles for IFR in the past. They pay very little and it is usually not worth my effort.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee, I do not want to leave my last comment about the quality of IFR Magazine hanging like that with you here. I just checked your real name, and I have to say that I found your articles very thorough and informative.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think most magazines do tend to get repetitive with the glacial speed at which things in aviation develop. If you read a copy of “Flying” from the 1960s you could be forgiven for thinking that it’s a December 2013 copy except for the advertisments and prices. The same gripes in the letters page, the same safety tips for new pilots, reviews of pretty much the same aircraft!

The only magazine I read regularly now is the LAA one since there’s always new projects people are building and there’s good stuff in the safety spot for vintage aircraft owners.

Andreas IOM

If more people contacted them from our side of the pond and said “we would subscribe if you produced an electronic version” they might get their act together and do so.
I have written to them a few times over the last 10 years encouraging them to get in to the 21st Century: but they don’t seem to realize the potential of larger sales. [All my other American publications I get in reader form via the internet, and this not only gets the publication to me far quicker than ‘snail mail’, but also saves a lot of subscription costs.]

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Hi,

im currently a bit lost with my subscription for https://www.ifr-magazine.com .
My subtraction fee got transferred but my account is not active since more than 2 weeks.
I tried almost every eMail address found on their website and also their contacts form bounced back to me.

Actually I see no chance to get in touch with these folks. Has anyone else had bad experience with them?

Best
Maik

EDFM EDGM, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message