Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

Reading glasses

Most people of around 50 or more are struggling with this

I am still able to read a Jepp paper plate,1:1, while wearing long distance glasses.

But it won't be for much longer.

I got some "executive" bifocals made. In UK terminology "executive" are ones where the far and near sections are the whole top half and the whole bottom half e.g.

but while they work fine in flight, they are not much good for flying a tight circuit to land.

Is there some better solution? I have never seen glasses whose far section goes down, on the LH side only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use contact lenses to correct for far vision, plus cheap reading glasses of the lowest power that works.

Have you tried Varifocals? They can take a bit of getting used to, but for me at least, they are the best solution

+1 Varifocals.

Norman
United Kingdom

Peter I use exec bifocals too but they (Specsavers) got me to draw a line across plain glass ones first to get the top and bottom right when sitting in the cockpit. The line for me corresponds with the top of the instrument panel and have no problems in tight circuits, glancing down at a chart, switching between inside and outside.

Luckily even though aligned for the C150 they work well in all the a/c I have flown.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

they (Specsavers) got me to draw a line across plain glass ones first to get the top and bottom right when sitting in the cockpit

I did exactly that, and in that respect it is fine, but when I glance to the left, I get a big chunk of the close-up portion.

It might be worse due to the TB20's window going down quite a long way, which makes one lazy as to how far one bends one's head over

I tried varifocals briefly and hated them. But people say one gets used to it after a while.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It might be worse due to the TB20's window going down quite a long way, which makes one lazy as to how far one bends one's head over

What I do with reading glasses is set them for the aircraft/panel being flown, and then before landing pull them down a bit so I I can look down the runway with the aircraft (and my) nose up. If I look left or right I am typically looking over the top of the reading glasses.

With tinted transparencies I use a visor now, without the sunglasses I used before needing the reading glasses. Brighter light and smaller pupils helps me see close up too.

I've been on VARIFOCALS for many years now - they do take a bit (7 - 14 days) to get use to.

And since then, and probably since Peter tried them, I understand the technological has improved.

One major point:-

The various lens manufacturers (or trade names) have their own 'slant' on a the theme. I understand a good optician can tell, by looking at them, to which 'trade name' specification a VF lens was made.

My first VF's were prescribed and made in Cyprus B4 the deregulation (or whatever it was) that reduced the cost of glasses in this country.

I seem to recall a later (every year) UK Optician suggested I went with 'tradename' xyz.

I never go to the big multiples - always to an established independent and they can suggest that 'this make or that make' of VF would be better suited to you.

I've worn glasses since knee high to a grasshopper (astigmatism in L eye) so they are part of me - last thing off at night and first thing on in the morning!!!. It's only in later life that the need for two prescriptions (near & far) had arisen - hence VF . This comes to us all, but is a bit of a shock to those who enjoyed 20/20 for most of their lives and then, to accommodate near/far, are told they need glasses. Many just go for reading glasses only, which is a bit of a faff, and not sure it would be permitted in aviation (put on to read instrument/charts. Remove to look out the window).

I'm confident a good 'opthalmic optician' will sort it.

60 years + with these things makes you a traditionalist - I wont go to the multiples. I want the one-on-one personnel you get year in year out from a good established independent. When it comes to glasses and your vision it's "10% cheaper to go first class".

I think correct VF's are fantastic. Get the right ones and give them a chance. They're not cheap and you'll need two pairs to validate your PPL license.

Somewhere in the aviation press is an 'opthalmic optician' advertising that specializes in pilots.

Remember it's "10% cheaper to go first class"

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I don't think sunglasses are helpful - most of the time I see people wearing them my first reaction is 'poser'. I don't wish to be personnel in anyway.

Call it a prejudice.

and they (sunglasses) are another barrier to one-on-one conversation. Arguable it's rude not to remove them in conversation.

199 Posts
Sign in to add your message