Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Van's RV Aircraft for hire in the UK?

Are any of these aircraft, particularly the taildragger variant available to hire in the UK? A quick google would indicate not but thought I would ask. I am not looking to hire for solo work, more to fly one as a “one off” to see what all the fuss is about these aircraft and why they seem to have a growing fan base.

Ta.

Last Edited by Bloomer at 30 Dec 09:25
Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

I would just ask a private owner of one if he were willing to take you up for a ride…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bloomer,

I know there are a lot of them about – at EGLG they have a RV fly-in day every year and there are 30 – 40 that must live somewhere in the South East. The only person I sort of know, through other friends who owns one, is Mark Jefferies the international display pilot at Little Gransden airfield. He flies one, and maybe there are a few others at his airfield, and maybe you could get a ride. Bit of a long shot possibly….

Very nice looking aircraft. I would say they are like ‘kit cars’ in that you get some nice one with a beautiful interior and spray job, and then some not so nice ones. Here is one of my pics

Can you legally rent an RV? It is non CofA.

As a matter of interest can you do an ab initio PPL in an RV?

There are many RVs in the UK, though most seem to be based at farm strips. There is a strip not far from where I live where some seem to be based. The UK has a whole GA “permit/homebuilt/microlight” (using the terms loosely) community which exists almost completely away from the “airfield” scene.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Dec 11:40
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can you legally rent an RV? It is non CofA

I don’t believe you can legally rent one. I’m pretty sure you need to be a part-owner or convince the owner to let you fly it for free.

As a matter of interest can you do an ab initio PPL in an RV?

Yes if you’re the owner (either sole or part).

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

Unless I am completely mistaken you cannot rent Experimental category aircraft (Permit) as with normal category.
Likewise, they may not be used for any license training. It could well be that national rules are different and applicable to national licenses, but for EASA licenses, nope.

I think it is interesting how we apply regulations so differently around the world. In Australia for example, the Jabiru factory built aircraft are used for basic flight training, as well as in South Africa. But, they’re not certified in EASA land, and presumably won’t ever be. Still, we all occupy the same airspace, we all have some concerns about safety and want to go home at the end of the (flying)day.

I recall that at least one country in South America bought RV6 kits and equipped their Air Force with a number of them for basic flight training… Can’t be all bad.
The RV10 would make a nice alternative to SR20, DA40, C172 and PA28 club aircraft if it were certified.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Yes if you’re the owner (either sole or part).

What is the minimum shareholding for that?

Is it the 5% figure? Below that (i.e. more than 20 owners) I believe owner maintenance is disallowed, but I am not sure what the rules are today. Under 5% used to trigger the old Public Transport CofA regime.

Also any plane operated by an RF/ATO probably cannot have owner maintenance – certainly for the skills test, which needs a release to service by the appropriate person/body. I had this on the IRT. But, if true, that raises an interesting issue: who has the authority to sign off the release to service on a non ICAO CofA plane?

I wonder if a Permit (Annex 2) aircraft is forced to have the 50/150hr checks if used for ab initio training?

Likewise, they may not be used for any license training. It could well be that national rules are different and applicable to national licenses, but for EASA licenses, nope.

Interesting…

The RV10 would make a nice alternative to SR20, DA40, C172 and PA28 club aircraft if it were certified.

More crucially, the whole PPL training business would move to homebuilts if they were allowed to operate sub CofA maintenance on them. They may be much less sturdy in some cases than the old C152s etc, but the cost savings would be massive. That’s why I asked what sort of release to service is required on say an RV and who does it. In the politically correct EASA terminology, who has the “competence” to sign off an RV for the skills test requirements?

What might be interesting is whether hours logged pre-PPL in say an RV were admissible, if done with an FI. I doubt it.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Dec 12:19
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t see how you could do any training in an Experimental category aircraft. PPL training requires an ATO and an ATO must use certified aircraft. The only relaxation currently on paper are the RTC types (Restricted Type Certificate) aircraft like the Evektor Sportstar. These aircraft can be equipped with some components that are not certified but maintenance requirements are still the same for the ATO.

I’d love to see any reference to documentation that permits any form of basic flight training in Experimental (Permit) aircraft.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

In the UK, it is permitted to get training (even ab initio) in a permit aircraft provided that you are the sole owner. The following documents from the LAA outlines the different cases: Link
Even IMC training is permitted in a suitably equipped aircraft.

Well, the UK permit aircrafts are not really experimental category like in the US. Very minor modifications from the original builds are allowed on such aircrafts and if you want any mod, you need to document it and get LAA approval. Basically, the difference between certified and permit is very slim in the UK. The major difference is the scale of the build, in a garage for the permit, in a big hall for the certified.

Belgium

Experimentals are not accepted for initial training of PPL, but with PPL you can do your yearly freshresment training flight with instructor and for ex.night flight training. The airworthiness is totally on owner/pilot’s shoulders and renting is not vice because of responsibility or allowed.
We do not build or fly for money. But fun we have!

Matti
EFHV
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message