Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why does the US appear to love GA, whereas Europe appears to hate it

Silvaire wrote:

God save the good from the “greater good”…

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I don’t think the article is a PR from the airliners, the tone of the article comes from “opposition leaders” who are now defending “big industry”, I think I am going to skip and have a sleep

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jan 19:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

FWIW, the letter from Grant Shapps is here and the response from the CAA is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did the reporter read the actual letter to the CAA?
I have to admit that I did not interpret the letter the same way he did.
Additional resource to post-Brexit license move and e-licensing – IF after Brexit some people want to move their license to another count, then obviously GA unit will need more people to resource it (doh!).
For me, it read polite and generic, but English is not my first language, so I think I’m just missing something.

EGTR

You are not missing anything. It is crap reporting, aimed at having a swipe at GA being a “hobby of the rich few”. Standard left wing stuff. Fortunately the left are not in power in the UK and are not likely to be in power for at least a decade or two; hopefully never. But public perception of GA is not likely to change; envy is quite constant

Administrator

I thought the letter from Mr Shapps was encouraging, Dear Deirdre, stuff full of let’s do, lets go. Unfortunately, and here is the UK problem, the response was full of ‘We will aim’, ‘We will look to’, ‘We will endeavour’. Nothing actually positive ever gets done.

We must also remember that Mr Shapps is the Fat Controller and the UK train set is totally broken. The ferry system, certainly North of the border is a total farce, and the transport network in the UK is difficult to say the least.

Credit where credit is due, at least he appears to be trying which is more than can be said of others.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

You are not missing anything. It is crap reporting, aimed at having a swipe at GA being a “hobby of the rich few”. Standard left wing stuff. Fortunately the left are not in power in the UK and are not likely to be in power for at least a decade or two; hopefully never. But public perception of GA is not likely to change; envy is quite constant

Thanks Peter! So, The Times is a left wing one? I thought The Guardian is the left wing. On the other hand The Guardian people appear to be more professional…
What I’m struggling to understand is that the majority of people working in the UK GA industry are hard-working, not rich employees, quite a few of them are labour supporters. And labour (shadow transport minister) has been quoted by this Times article as saying that these few thousand people don’t deserve to be looked after?
Politics before people.

EGTR

We have a “politics” thread for proper politics I can move the above post there if people want to kick this one around.

Administrator

Yes, the CAA’s reply did seem to have been ghost written by Sir Humphrey Appleby…

On the other hand this month’s LAA mag reports that the report into UK airspace last year is actually being taken seriously, and there are changes afoot on how airspace gets reviewed. The CAA have recently (TAG Farnborough notwithstanding) been standing up to airspace grabs, in particular denying airspace grabs by both Exeter and Leeds Bradford. Perhaps they can remove some of Doncaster’s vast empty controlled airspace under a new regime too.

Andreas IOM

Will AOPA UK step up to the mark, in response to that Times piece, and write a letter to the Times advocating the benefits of GA?

Last Edited by NeilC at 12 Jan 00:35
NeilC
EGPT, LMML
Sign in to add your message