Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen MyFlightPlan Online

Jeppesen made a free beta version of its upcoming MyFlightPlan Online available.

To access, you need an account at my.Jeppesen.com. It's basically a web version of the long abandoned product Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner (JIFP). I have been a user of JIFP for several years at it is relatively cheap and provides worldwide current enroute map data for both VFR and IFR including weather. JIFP required a Windows PC and is terribly slow, both issues are now addressed in MyFlightPlan Online.

According to Jeppesen support, it is expected to cost around 50 € a year when ready. There is a direct integration with JeppFD on the iPad where you can import your flight plans. JeppFD 2.0 indeed contains a settings menu for the logon information and you can can list the online flight plans when clicking on the "archive" icon in the top right corner of the JeppFD flight plan pane. Jeppesen are also working on CFMU validation, basically competing with RocketRoute at some point.

Flight logs can be generated and from a quick test, they look nice and useable.

I think this is great news. Jeppesen maps are semi-official and you can travel the whole planet with them.

Interesting...

I recall testing JIFP several years ago. It was identical to Flitestar IFR but instead of the database sitting on the HD it was accessed over the internet, at a cost of transferring several MB over a potentially roaming 3G connection which could have been massive (of the order of €50 for session). Over GPRS it was unusuable. I didn't know Jepp dropped the product. You got effectively Flitestar IFR Europe for about €150/year instead of about €500/year for the CD-updated version. €50/year is therefore a huge price drop but Jepp can do this because they are not undercutting their main commercial product: Jeppview, and its MFD versions. I don't believe Jepp will ever drop the price of any of their approach plate products.

How good is JeppFD now? I had a play with the demo early this year and it kept crashing so I removed it. JeppTC worked OK though (Ipad2).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Over GPRS it was unusuable. I didn't know Jepp dropped the product. You got effectively Flitestar IFR Europe for about €150/year instead of about €500/year for the CD-updated version.

I never considered JIFP to be suitable for mobile use. However, finding a wifi isn't difficult these days. JIFP provides worldwide coverage, something that costs you a lot more with Flitestar. Initially I purchased it because I would fly in both the USA and Europe and the combination of both was prohibitively expensive with the other products.

I didn't know Jepp dropped the product.

It's still available and I still have a subscription. It's just that they haven't updated it in many years and it is very sluggish updating its screen. It's been clear for years that it's a dead end but it took until now for Jepp to make the web version available.

How good is JeppFD now? I had a play with the demo early this year and it kept crashing so I removed it. JeppTC worked OK though (Ipad2).

I noticed the same thing and for that reason kept JeppTC as a backup. Now there is JeppFD 2.0 and it appears to be much better. I haven't seen it crash so far. I use it for its enroute maps and I have a Europe VFR subscription. For IFR, I still use Aeroplates from RocketRoute with the Eurocontrol charts as Jepp want ca. 2000 € for Europe IFR. JeppFD provides a free of charge up to date enroute map for IFR. That is very useful.

I got error "Unable to get value of the property 'B' ..." when trying go generate low-route IFR plan from LDZA to LDSB.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Works for me: LDZA RUDIK MONID SPL LDSB

However, I don't think it's particularly useful for that job as of today. In Europe, the important thing is CFMU validation not finding a theoretically possible routing.

I guess it's good as an up to date and reliable map source, weather information and creating flight logs.

I got error "Unable to get value of the property 'B' ..." when trying go generate low-route IFR plan from LDZA to LDSB.

I get the same error when generating a low-route IFR from EHLE to LFAT. Guess that's why it is free during the beta stage :-)

It would be really nice if they would offer the IFR plates for download as well, preferably on a pay-per-view basis.

Len

What level?

That changes everything.

For the UK anyway, routes which are substantially below CAS don't seem to get checked by CFMU. But they are not useful because if you file them, you don't get any entitlement to fly them. The only way to get that is to file at a decisive high level, in CAS generally.

For example one can file from Shoreham EGKA to Aberdeen EGPD, on a direct route

Administrator

Works for me: LDZA RUDIK MONID SPL LDSB

Additional problem with this route is that it can't be filed since it's on M725 (for some reason forbidden in this direction) - try to validate it with EuroControl and you'll see the error.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I am commenting blindly because I haven't got this product, but the route generation facility in Flitestar was almost useless.

It generates routes based on the SRD, but for many years, and in most of Europe, there is an extra layer of temporary restrictions on top of that which it can't know about.

If Jepp are not doing real time online validation via Eurocontrol, the product is virtually useless for that purpose.

Administrator

If Jepp are not doing real time online validation via Eurocontrol, the product is virtually useless for that purpose.

At this point they don't but it's on the list of things they're working on. Setting this aside, I think a worldwide up-to-date and reliable IFR map is worth quite something.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message