Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Valentine's Day

Don’t forget the flowers, guys

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mothers day, Valentine’s day and similar nonsense invented by groups of merchants have no place in my life. Never had, never will. Luckily, the rest of my familiy sees it the same way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Good attitude towards the florist’s day. lol

United Kingdom

Mothers day, Valentine’s day and similar nonsense invented by groups of merchants have no place in my life.

I agree 100%. Government/society established days to honor a group of people feels so fascist/communist to me. The Soviets had/have days to honor pretty much everyone, day of the military, day of the police, day of the teacher (you are supposed to bring gifts to your teacher, chocolates or not unheard of an envelope). Their day to honor all men is called “day of the defenders of the homeland”. No thanks.

Luckily, the rest of my familiy sees it the same way.

That is the problem. Even though they (= women) might agree to your rational argument, they will be disappointed, maybe only subconsciously but they will be. This flower industry nonsense has worked perfectly well and infiltrated the brains. Everybody in a relationship will know the fallout of an offended girlfriend/wife so following the stupid tradition is often the cheaper and less painful way

Even though they (= women) might agree to your rational argument, they will be disappointed…

In a few days, I will be together with my wife for 30 years (of which we have been married since 15). She has never complained about not getting anything for Valentine’s day so far, and now it is too late She gets her sweets (dead flowers she doesn’t like anyway) on our marriage day, because this is a personal thing for us.

EDDS - Stuttgart

In a few days, I will be together with my wife for 30 years (of which we have been married since 15). She has never complained about not getting anything for Valentine’s day so far

You must be a lucky guy what next, but that’s not how most European girls are.
I will buy flowers this afternoon (just like I did last year and the year before) because the few EUR I’ll safe by not doing it, is just not worth the hassle

And I thought pilots were so romantic! I guess I am just VERY lucky :)
Seriously, people, lighten up. St Valentine’s day goes back to at least the 14th century (mentioned in Chaucer) and even the Romans celebrated some sort of love fest in February. So it’s hardly fair to say the whole thing is either a ploy of the florist industry or a sinister State invention.
Wishing you all lots of cards and flowers xxx

And I thought pilots were so romantic!

What’s romantic about stopping at some flower shop (or even better: A filling station, as they also sell flowers on days like this) and buying some dead biomass that has been produced in industrialised manner using chemicals that have been banned from food production more than 50 years ago … must I go on?

EDDS - Stuttgart

buying some dead biomass

Have you noticed that they started promoting Christmas trees in pots to charge eco-minded people extra. The thing is that these trees are cut off in a way that there are no roots and they die within 4 weeks. A very successful scam.

You could always buy a living plant for the garden, or pick some homegrown/wild flowers and leaves (yes, we still have flowers in bloom in our garden this year). Or draw a picture – that would be even more fun and original. Think outside the box guys :)

In the end we are all dead biomass…

38 Posts
Sign in to add your message