Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MH370

From here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They found some more bits

The view seems to be that if they don’t find it in the current search area, it must have been flown down under control and then the search area would be much bigger.

Administrator

More bits – a not very new report.

Administrator

I just came across this old thread while browsing. There was never any conclusion about what happened to MH370, right? I think I read a few months ago, certainly later than Peter ’s last post, that some more wreckage was found on the African east coast. But nothing new since. Remains very mysterious this whole story.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

There was never any conclusion about what happened to MH370, right?

No there was not. Search has officially ended now even though it was becoming more and more clear,that it was in the wrong place and there were indications where the “right” place would be, north of the original search area. This came out of research of the stranded pieces found in connection with the possible sea currents.

I reckon MH370 will remain an unsolved mystery. And I am not quite sure that it is not meant to be found by some of the interested parties. Myself, I don’t buy any of the theories which circulate the net, we know next to nothing else than that this unfortunate plane came down after an unexplainable change of flight trajectory.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How credible are the reports from the early days of the transponder return (ATC radar) confirming the position as being well off the filed route and at a low level, and later some radar contacts confirmed the flight continuing at a low level (the latter would have to be military radars since only they can get the height of a primary return)?

The press reports, attributed to the investigators, also stated that these military reports were from undisclosed sources because the area is politically volatile and nobody is willing to openly confirm what their military radar can and cannot see.

If these reports are anywhere near true then it is a fact that there was something going on in the cockpit, and it was deliberate and with a live person doing it. The B777 autopilot can be programmed to climb in steps or descend in steps but it cannot be programmed to do a combination, without any pilot action, of some climb and some descent, AIUI.

After that, the cockpit actions are pure speculation but a “going out in real style but preserving family dignity” pilot suicide looks pretty likely, and extremely easily done, using the “Germanwings” method. It really is the technically easiest way – even if until Germanwings few would have believed it readily.

Administrator

Peter,

there is no short version of this and I don’t have the time to do a proper write up on it right now, but so much for now:

- I don’t have any knowledge of low level flight. The alleged flight path was seen on primary radar between Malaysia and Thailand and was triangulated to be roughly at FL300 +-. The only problem is, it was never proven that this was MH370.

- Quite a few radar sites over there are closed at night, as in, it’s 18-30 let’s go home and have din-din. This does not include some sites which I would reckon MUST have seen any echo going through there, but were never mentioned.

- As for cockpit actions, nobody has yet convinced me that it was a suicide plot. Nobody has convinced me either that the target they tracked was the 777. I think the airplane did one turn to the south and that was it.

- As for Germanwings, don’t take too much for granted there either. But that is yet another case.

Just stumbled upon this:

“Wreck of MH370 discovered?” (06 July 2017), in German only:
http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen/2017/07/wrack-von-mh-370-entdeckt-81381/

Reading the article was pretty disappointing though. Apparently Australian oceanographers from the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) claim to have modeled the exact location of the wreck, in an as of yet unsearched area of the Indian Ocean. It doesn’t say how they reached this conclusion, and it is just the result of some mathematical analaysis apparently. Now the governments of China, Malaysia and Australia have to decide wheter to re-start the search at those coordinates.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

That headline is misleading to the max.

They have not found anything nor have they discovered anything.

All they have done is a new calculation where it MIGHT have ended up. A far cry from actually finding the airplane.

Seeing that at least 5 times we have been that far, I’d not expect much of this. Or at least not more than all the other calculations, which in the end proved all wrong. Quite possibly because the original start values were wrong in the first place.

This plane will not be found in our lifetime unless a MASSIVE effort is made to pretty much scan the whole Indian ocean.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This plane will not be found in our lifetime unless a MASSIVE effort is made to pretty much scan the whole Indian ocean.

Even then, I doubt it. IIRC the search found vast areas of mud, into which an airplane can easily sink and disappear, also steep canyons, etc. Lost airplanes keep getting found out here in the deserts (admittedly none as big as T7), and that’s on land that is surveyed, gets traversed and visited. If – and that’s a very, very big IF – that thing ever gets found it’ll be by pure chance.

Sign in to add your message