Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MH370

Peter wrote:

Last time I read about this topic, they concluded from the flapperon condition that it was a carefully controlled landing.

The article attached claims the opposite – it says that that flapperon condition shows that it broke off in-flight rather than on impact.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I didn’t mean in-flight breakup. I meant that to get flutter on any control surface, the aircraft would need to be going way above Vne. @pilot_dar knows more but probably 30-50% above.

Then it would break up upon impact with water.

Last time I read about this topic, they concluded from the flapperon condition that it was a carefully controlled landing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you go so fast that you get flutter, you should leave a huge floating wreckage field.

Flutter can affect only one surface. E.g. if only a flapperon was affected, it would be teared off and the aircraft would probably spiral down before other parts would be subjected to in-flight breakup.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I still don’t get it. If you go so fast that you get flutter, you should leave a huge floating wreckage field.

Tom_Kenyon_MH370_Flaperon_Feasibility_FEA_Analysis_28Rev_1_2_29_pdf local copy

Administrator

I don’t get what that analysis tells us.

The mechanism of ripping off flapperon in-flight (as consequence of flutter) is different than the one caused by impact.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t get what that analysis tells us.

I would expect a deployed flap to be ripped off on a water landing, and if someone was trying to disappear without leaving debris they would do a water landing with flaps, because with zero flaps the approach speed is much higher.

Administrator

Qalupalik wrote:

MH370 Flaperon Inboard Hinge—Finite Element Analysis (FEA). Tom Kenyon. Nov. 2020.

Thanks. According to this, there’s no way controlled flight was conducted until impacting the water as it was suggested previously in this thread.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

MH370 Flaperon Inboard Hinge—Finite Element Analysis (FEA). Tom Kenyon. Nov. 2020.

dropbox link

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

The recovered flaperon shows damage caused by in-flight separation which is consistent with fuel exhaustion.

Wasn’t it post-crash separation when hitting water surface?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Actually I believe the biggest usage of VPNs is among the 10000000 Brits sitting in Costa del Sol and wanting to watch the BBC on Iplayer, which they can’t since the BBC blocks non-UK IPs

Guilty as charged – although not the Costa and not a Brit anymore :)

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
195 Posts
Sign in to add your message