Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR GPS - 20 years old now

According to an article in the US AOPA mag… the very first IFR approach certified GPS came out in 1994 – the Garmin GPS155

Enroute IFR units were reportedly around for several years before that.

It’s quite astonishing how long it has taken to achieve a widespread European acceptance of this superb navigation tool.

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 17:49
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Acceptance is still relative. I know FIs and old pilots who call it the work of devil.

United Kingdom

A friend of mine used to have one of these:

on the dash of his VFR PA28 in the very early 90s. Revolutionary in VFR GA at that time. Those were the days…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Apr 20:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I did my GPS IFR navaid rating in Australia with one of those Garmins. I think it was the GPS approach to Wollongong.

Last Edited by JasonC at 07 Apr 22:10
EGTK Oxford

27 years ago now, and the use of GPS is still being debated

A lot of these old boxes come up on a US ancient avionics site on FB, at silly prices given there is no database update.

Administrator

I fly a lot with that in late 90’s in a C421. Loved it. It did everything I needed at that time. When I bought my first TB20, that was the installed navigator. Now my old Garmin sleeps in its tray, on my shelf. :) It had also SID/STARs too.

Last Edited by Zsoszu at 02 Apr 07:58
Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Me too, I had the 155 in my aircraft along with DME, VOR and ADF. No problem at all. Didn’t know any different until I started flying with G1000.
Seeing how difficult/expensive it is to upgrade the G1000, I wonder if we were better off back then.

France

I wonder if we were better off back then.

@gallois we were. For some of us, and I guess possibly @canuck or @Pilot_DAR, the Canadian IR back in the day required knowledge of the four course LF range (I only ticked the box in the clockwork Frasca as the nearest four course range was Castlegar). As time passed you had LORAN and Omega (the last quite essential in Africa). Being the ultimate essence of a non precision approach, you carried out the LF approach limited panel. Not sure if the Frasca had built in static to simulate the real experience during summer thunder storms in the Rockies.

http://ed-thelen.org/TJohnson-LFRDF.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The KLN90B would belong into this thread too.

Administrator

Ubiquitous G430 came out in 1998…

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message