Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National diversity on EuroGA

Paris, France (in fact I’m from the 92 departement).
My mom is from Brittany, near LFRU and I also have a bit of Polish blood.
No DNA testing so far

LFOU, France

Russia, Moscow.

what_next wrote:

Which means that my genes will be 50% Kelts and 50% Roman soldiers

You wish This DNA test goes way back, all the way to the first humans in Africa and even Neanderthals, which early humans interbred with until they disappeared tens of thousands of years ago. Whatever you think you know about where you are coming from, forget it. After taking such a “test” you will have lots of surprises.

It’s very much a work in progress also, and more knowledge is gained when more people take these tests. It’s use is to find out more how the human race spread out through the globe, which is incredible entangled, particularly in Europe.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@what_next

Idiots will be idiots and I have no excuse for them BUT, being a native Düsseldorfer, I can’t let you mix regional facts :)

Düsseldorf was not even a city when the local farmers and Cologne citizens fought the Cologne Archbishop’s troops in the battle of Worringen of 1288 and won. Hence no Romans in Düsseldorf while the neighbouring Neuss (Castrum Novaesium) was a thriving Roman city.
Since we have different beers (Alt vs. Koelsch (which was discovered when Alt beer was mixed with dish water)) and mainly live on two opposing sides of the river Rhine you have to admit that this feud has been worth fighting since almost a thousand years now..

It’s all good fun.. Nowadays you can even get Koelsch in Düsseldorf but never Alt beer in Cologne which should show where the more tolerant people live..

On a more relevant note to this forum I can highly recommend a VFR trip through the CTRs of EDDL and EDDK along the river Rhine in 2000ft. The Cologne controllers are actually more open to this than the Düsseldorf guys because Cologne only requires you to fly “west of the river” while Düsseldorf will involve a midfield crossing.

Last Edited by mrfacts at 07 Aug 05:43
EDLN and EDKB

MedEwok wrote:

…I got the impression that the Southern German “tribes” were always at each others’ throats…

That’s only between “tribes” in that part of Germany. I am considered to be a foreigner so I am spared that kind of treatment. But this kind of stupid behavior is not typical for southwest Germany alone. Last year I had the incredible luck to get tickets for a concert of Adele in Cologne. She performed on two consecutive nights. The night before she had to interrupt her performance for some time because a kind of racket had evolved in the audience between people from Cologne and Düsseldorf – neighboring cities who have been in constant clinch with each other since the Romans left. But obviously she found the right words to calm down the idiots.

EDDS - Stuttgart

MedEwok wrote:

@what_next :
You come from Bavaria yet live in Swabia? Isn’t that basically enemy territory for you?

Lots of Bavarians spend time in Prussia.

EGTK Oxford

British, living in Scotland which is akin to being abroad. Half German on my mother’s side which may explain my OCD

Longside EGPS

@what_next :
You come from Bavaria yet live in Swabia? Isn’t that basically enemy territory for you? When I lived in Southern Germany (Karlsruhe) I got the impression that the Southern German “tribes” were always at each others’ throats while we Northern Germans are much more friendly to each other Maybe because we speak proper German and actually understand each other?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

LeSving wrote:

I took this DNA test at Genographic last fall.

Interesting, I have never heard of that! But I think in my case I can skip it because my family comes from Bavaria since as many generations as the records go back. Which means that my genes will be 50% Kelts and 50% Roman soldiers. No blonds and blue-eyed people in my family, abroad I get sometimes asked if I am French…
But maybe, out of curiosity, I will take this DNA test some time!

EDDS - Stuttgart

French, living in Sweden.

ESMK, Sweden
118 Posts
Sign in to add your message