Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any free source of UK MSLP charts in the proper sequence?

Another MSLP source has been discovered by another pilot in the UK – here

It does seem to have them in the correct order.

The only anomaly, comparing with the paid-for ones from Avbrief, is that the t+84 and t+96 were both shown, for the same day and time. You need to watch out for that because the t+96 is obviously pointless if you have the t+84 for a given date/time.

I wonder what happened to @Piper.Classique ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The old MSLP order and drop-out problem sustains on http://euro.wx.propilots.net and on some apps.
I suspect that the root cause at the originator is not solved.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Presenting out of order charts, and presenting an old and less old version of the same chart, could be solved with some software easily enough. If you look at the image file names you see e.g. PPVI89.gif PPVJ89.gif and not only do these relate to the various chart ages in an obvious way but it makes it obvious that these come from the same place (whatever that is). But all these sites rip the charts from each other and don’t want to do any processing

Currently the only site which does it just right is Avbrief.

Edit: I already had this latest site on my main aviation page (search for MSLP).

Administrator

That weathercharts.org one is the one that I use all the time. It often shows out of date charts. Eg. the 36, 48 & 72 hours chart could all be for the exact same time. You really need to read the time to be sure.

When I’ve time, I’ll write you a little app that will show them 100% correctly for you. But to do it properly takes a lot of time, so it won’t be in the next few weeks ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’ve been testing dublinpilot’s new app (which does work) and something curious has come to light…

As discussed previously, the charts which the UK Met Office (UKMO) chooses to publish on its website, and the UKMO charts which are available from the paid avbrief.com site, are the same where the UKMO does publish them but avbrief have some extra ones.

Specifically they have the 0600 and the 1800 and the T+120 one.

Firstly – the 0600 and the 1800, and the 1200 for the same day which fits between them, are all marked as T+24

which suggests they were all generated at different times (i.e. at 0600 1200 1800 the previous day) but were they really? They don’t come out like that. The 0600 and 1800 come out at the same time.

Secondly – the T+120 (which the UKMO website doesn’t carry) is curious because if you look at that one, and the one immediately before it, you always see

but the difference between T+84 and T+120 is 36hrs, not 24hrs So the last one, T+120, is actually “older” than it seems, and was produced only 12hrs after the T+84 one. So it isn’t quite “fiction” but is clearly less reliable than it could be.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Administrator

dublinpilot wrote:

I’ll write you a little app

is it somewhere already available? which platform?

LKKU, LKTB

Hi Michal,

No it’s not available publically. I made it for Peter and myself. It’s very simple but I do like it so I’ll probably make it available publically. But before that I need to finish off a few things

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

To Colm: don’t rush, the season is almost done and to expect for/haze/low clouds there is no need for charts ;-) But keep us posted on development….

LKKU, LKTB

I have just found something REALLY weird. Same chart, but one is marked by the UKMO as t+12 and the other one is marked t+24

The first came from avbrief.com and the other from the UKMO.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I have just found something REALLY weird. Same chart, but one is marked by the UKMO as t+12 and the other one is marked t+24

But they’re clearly not the same chart. Look at the occluded front in the extreme south. Ot the position of the 1020 high. It just means that for 12 hours the forecast was pretty good.

Sign in to add your message