Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA activity and its decline

Peter wrote:

Can a German speaker translate the PDFs here and possibly find numbers for annual hours flown, annual infringments, and maybe other stuff, for here? Many thanks

I have begun to dig into those documents. Very detailed statistics, many of which aren’t of direct interest for this topic.

A few key points:

• Out of the total number of movements, CAT makes up only 37% while non-commercial operations make up 63%
  • The number of movements has more or less remained at the same level for both CAT and non-CAT for years (the graphs go back to 2008)
  • There has been a slight decline in Echo-class (read: SEP between 750 and 2000 kg MTOW) aircraft since 2008, from about 6800 to 6500.
  • At the same time Kilo-class (read: TMGs) have increased in number from about 3000 to 3500
  • Unfortunately the Mike-class (read: ULs up to 600 kg) are not depicted, my personal feeling is that those have increased massively
  • Germany has 960 airfields in total, 25 of which are the “main traffic airports”, 390 are “other airports”, 235 are heliports, 270 are gliding sites and 40 are UL airfields.
  • Of all the “commercial” movements at “other airports”, over 50% are pilot instruction/training flights, while 8% are “sight seeing flights”
  • In comparison, for non-commerical movements at other airports, pilot training makes up about 29% of all flights, with TMG, UL and gliding making up a remarkable 50% combined.

The very broad article raises many different topics and in general tries to promote a “decentralized air traffic structure”, emphasizing the importance of small airfields. 25 airports are chiefly responsible for most of the commerical air traffic in Germany, but the over 900 “other airfields” fulfill many key functions for the economy and society at large, such as enabling business aviation, pilot training, private aviation and are a boon to the local economy, employing tens of thousands of people.

I did not see any numbers for number of licenses or active pilots anywhere in the article…

As was to be expected, infringements were not a topic in this article either.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 04 Dec 11:30
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Many thanks.

Is that 6500 D-Exxx aircraft flying? That seems a small number.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is that 6500 D-Exxx aircraft flying? That seems a small number.

Confirm. Look at the graph at page 25 of the long document, the caption is Abbildung 2.15

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter (or anyone else), what would be the comparable number of SEPs in the UK?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I can’t find any reference right now and don’t believe the CAA is publishing any, but the figure usually thrown around is 20k aircraft.

One could do some digging at G-INFO (preferably with a script which goes through the whole lot) and there you even get the hours at the last annual so you could get the activity profile. I wonder if anybody wants to do that

Administrator

G-INFO is capcha’d – you won’t have a script (at least a simple one without an AI capcha solver, most of which are dodgy because they are written for spammers) that can pull the data.

Andreas IOM

The microlights and the associated licences are probably not included in the LBA data because the technical oversight and licensing of these has been delegated to two clubs, the DAeC (Deutscher Aeroclub, an association most smaller German Clubs are part of) and the DULV (Deutscher Ultraleicht-Verein, an association for microlighters only).

Those two administrate everything concerning microlights.

I attended an assembly of the DAeCs local branch this November where they presented some statistics.

The first one shows the numbers of certified aircraft on the German register. I think the numbers were given by MedEwok already, but the visualisation is nice.

E means SE below 2t, S is for gliders, K for powered gliders, O for balloons and L for airships. I just noticed the numbers are cut off at the side. When I’m home, I’ll replace the scan with a better one.

For microlights the DAeC has these figures for “their” microlight planes and gyrocopters. Those of the DULV are not included, so total figures are slightly higher:

First column is “type certificates”, second one is “number of registered ULs” and the last “number of microlight licenses”, with the sub-columns indicating “new” and “grand total”.

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 05 Dec 10:48
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

UK registered aircraft as at 1 January 2019 by aircraft class and EASA category. CAA Aircraft Registration Section. (pdf link). local copy

London, United Kingdom

G-INFO is capcha’d – you won’t have a script (at least a simple one without an AI capcha solver, most of which are dodgy because they are written for spammers) that can pull the data.

Yes indeed. The captcha is new, though, and if I can think of this it must have already been done by somebody. I clearly remember the Mode S hex codes for G-regs being in some database, so they must have come from farming G-INFO.

The captcha they use doesn’t do the “tick all pics containing a vehicle” thing. It looks at your IP, your typing timing, etc. We have one of these on EuroGA signups now and it is evidently good for blocking bots.

The other problem is that to get the annual usage you would need to do it every year and work out the hours. I remember a whole crowd of people doing this many years ago, when one well known UK pilot forum personality was claiming 200rs/year in a particular plane

UK registered aircraft as at 1 January 2019 by aircraft class and EASA category. CAA Aircraft Registration Section.

That’s a brilliant find, Qalupalik. I wonder how many of them are active? Presumably these have a current Annual?

Adding up the fixed wing ones, and excluding CS-25 (airliners, basically) I get 8920 which is comparable to the German total (which is probably a bit higher for the equivalent categories).

Administrator

Annual tables from 1985 are also available (link) and the G-INFO database may be purchased on CD (link).

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message