Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Idyllic places to fly to...

Planning to do a flying trip next month with my girlfriend.
What are “idyllic” destinations in Europe to fly to?

With my limited experience so far, I would start with:

- Mali Losinj LDLO – Croatie
- Ærø EKAE – Denmark
- Venice Lido LIPV – Italy
- Deauville LFRG → Taxi to Honfleur – Italy

There must be plenty of others…

Last Edited by lenthamen at 22 Jun 20:32

Depends on the definition of idyllic. I would say:

Vejrø (Denmark) is much more idyllic than Aerø.
Unije (Croatia) is is much more idyllic than Losinj. Check airfield status though.
Asiago and Dobbiaco (Italy) are more idyllic than Venice.
Avranches (France) is more idyllic than Honfleur.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Broadford Isle of Skye (if that’s still open) is the most idyllic airfield I have ever seen – from the ground, never flown there myself. Just a strip of tarmac in the middle of the most spectacular scenery anywhere in Europe. Maybe also Land’s End St. Just in Cornwall, “Connemara Airport” near Galway, Ireland or Sligo.
But Venice during the tourist season (and even less during the “carnevale”) is not very idyllic. Just a huge mass of tourists and a big ripoff.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The hotel Eremo della Giubiliana in Ragusa, Sicily is really wonderful. It has its own paved airstrip and if you stay in one of the cottages you can park your aircraft outside the door and stare lovingly at it through your bedroom window.

It’s a pretty short, narrow runway with a significant slope, a hard wall at one end and a 10 foot drop at the other. Most landings are uphill, even with a slight tailwind. You’ve got to be confident of your short field landings because a late go-around isn’t a good option. Having said that, it’s not really a problem provided you treat it respectfully.

KHPN White Plains

you can park your aircraft outside the door and stare lovingly at it through your bedroom window

I believe lenthamen searches for romance with his girfriend rather then with his aircraft

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I believe lenthamen searches for romance with his girfriend rather then with his aircraft

My girlfriend likes flying, as a way to go places.
I was thinking about composing a list of places to visit, so I could just pick a destination based on the actual weather…

Some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread can’t be done with the aircraft I fly. Initial climb performance is quite bad, so I need at least 700m tarmac.

From what I read online, this might also be put on the list?:

- Portoroz LJPZ
- Corsica: Propriano LFKO / Calvi LFKC / Figari LFKF
- Elba LIRJ
- Limoges LFBL
- Carcassonne LFMK
- La Rochelle LFBH

Forget Limoges, and add L’Ile d’Yeu LFEY (I added an airfield note a month ago)
I love Læsø in Denmark.
You could add Perpignan.
Avignon is a pretty place too. Fortified city, ancient capital of Catholicism and seat of the Pope. I believe it has a theatre festival in July.
Dijon, and nearby fields in wine country (Beaunes).
Cosne-sur-Loire and the nearby village of Sancerre (requires French R/T)

LFPT, LFPN

Zell am See would fit the bill, of course also Innsbruck. Both best visited in early Fall (clear skies, vis forever and turning of the leaves).

Also Ascona, beautiful surroundings (again, probably better in early Fall)

Visby (ESSV) on the island of Gotland. Well-preserved medieval hanseatic town. Gotland is also great for tourism in general.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Also Ascona, beautiful surroundings

Beautiful, certainly, but didn’t I hear rumour of its closure?

Last Edited by at 23 Jun 20:12
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message