Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Idyllic places to fly to...

Beautiful, certainly, but didn’t I hear rumour of its closure?

Rumour, I don’t know if you can call it that. The thing was closed in 1997 (*). AFAIK, they still use it as landing site for paragliders coming from the mountains above.

* My parents live close to there and when I got my PPL in 1998 I intended to visit Ascona first thing. Alas too late…

Last Edited by what_next at 23 Jun 20:18
EDDS - Stuttgart

Zell-am-Zee is incredibly beautiful but the runway can be a bit short for the diesel DA40 that lenthamen flies.

EHLE

Picking up this greatly named thread… My top destinations have been

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LIPV and water taxi to Venice (the boat is pricey, but it’s worth it once).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Propriano LFKO is a must land and takeoff spot IMO…

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Propriano LFKO is a must land and takeoff spot IMO…

+1

Another similar airfield environment is Scalea LICK on the west coast of Italy, south of Naples between Salerno and Lamezia Terme. Beautiful area.

LSZK, Switzerland

ENSG, Sogndal. Approach and takeoff over the fjord is beautiful.

EHLE, Netherlands

I would add Hilversum, NL with some impressions:

Or as mentioned before, Perpignan:

EDXG, Germany

Swiss Alps & Bahamas (water lakes & galciers colours vs sea water & land colours)

Lofoten Islands in Norway is right mix of the two, sadly we only managed to visited it in FSX simulator yesterday (I had our GA flight booked to visit these next week)

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Aug 15:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Fly into Saanen airfield LSGK in Switzerland and spend a couple of days in Gstaad. The airfield is the most beautiful in Switzerland and has the distinction of having one of the most extraordinary and bizarre approaches. ‘Downwind’ is directly over the runway, and final approach is about 6 degree descent.

This video will give you some idea.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 24 Aug 16:41
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message