Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Idyllic places to fly to...

Donegal EIDL has been voted ‘most scenic airport in the world’ two years running. I’ve flown there twice, my pictures are good but the video clip here is much better quality that my photos: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/donegal-airport-voted-most-scenic-in-the-world-for-second-year-running-1.3834539

Also how about Barra EGPR, landing on the beach is pretty idyllic.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Wow – thats a spectacular airport. Short walk to the beach too. And just over the Irish Sea.

Thats what I love about EuroGA. I would never have given this airstrip a thought.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

This is the most idyllic place I have been to so far. Not only the scenery but the whole set-up, with people lending you a car to get fuel, drive you to the (lovely) town, no ATC, no hassle and voluntary landing fees (takes some convincing to have them accept money).

OK, it may be a bit of a pucker moment for some of you to go in there, but with a bit of skill and luck 450 m should be enough.

Getting out is also interesting, corkscrewing over the valley until you think you’re high enough to get out.

Field closed with even moderately Northerlies. I can see why.

https://www.aterriza.org/castejon-de-sos-www-aviador-net/

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

It’s funny that almost every place on my list above is an island, and indeed when we have done island fly-ins we always got a high turnout, limited only by the weather.

People just seem to love islands, plus they tend to be hard to get to conventionally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my uninformed mind, islands are harder to get the virus.

EBST, Belgium

This isn’t Europe , but it was one of my favorite places to land…

Last Edited by AF at 28 Aug 13:42

AF wrote:

This isn’t Europe , but it was one of my favorite places to land…

Funny how some pilots in a Florida FBO talked about that asphalt runway being “very short and challenging” for a Cessna, well the FBO rental agreement did prohibit operation on grass the place is about the size of North Weald where jets fly Mustang, Gnat, JetProvost and even Mig25 once!

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra indeed! I heard the same and was initially nervous to fly in to it, but after the first landing where I was full stop halfway down the runway, I didn’t understand the issue.

For me it is equally concerning to go off the end of a runway on dirt or water…

BTW I think they resurfaced it in the meantime, and it looks great

Is it me, or is it not just a wee bit odd that the “pilot info” page linked says the runway is short, to be careful etc, but then doesnt actually say how long it is??

Or am I missing something…

I had the same thought. Then googled the length and was quite astonished to see that it’s more than 700m (2355ft).

But I like this detail from the website:

Camping by the plane is not allowed, but not rigidly enforced.

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 30 Aug 12:04
EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message