Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Idyllic places to fly to...

172driver wrote:

The shortest rwy round here in SoCal is Santa Paula at 2665ft, everything else is > 3000ft, so most US pilots aren’t used to fly into ‘short’ fields which are perfectly normal in Europe. Different world….

Different world indeed. The runway on my homebase ist 1.575 ft – enough for our club’s F33A Bonanza…

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Sebastian_G wrote:

US runways are usually much longer so some local pilots are not used to short fields like in Europe where many aeroclub runways are short.

Yep, exactly. The shortest rwy round here in SoCal is Santa Paula at 2665ft, everything else is > 3000ft, so most US pilots aren’t used to fly into ‘short’ fields which are perfectly normal in Europe. Different world….

Buckerfan wrote:

I think that means its enforced by the alligators, not the management.

I keep that for those doing TnG with seaplanes in the swamps

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

700m is not short…even if they do have alligators…

US runways are usually much longer so some local pilots are not used to short fields like in Europe where many aeroclub runways are short. The ferry pilot who did fly our plane over the atlantic had plenty experience with 4 digit hours but he did land 10kt faster than I do with the resulting flare.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

700m is not short…even if they do have alligators…

I think that means its enforced by the alligators, not the management.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I had the same thought. Then googled the length and was quite astonished to see that it’s more than 700m (2355ft).

But I like this detail from the website:

Camping by the plane is not allowed, but not rigidly enforced.

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 30 Aug 12:04
EDQH, Germany

Is it me, or is it not just a wee bit odd that the “pilot info” page linked says the runway is short, to be careful etc, but then doesnt actually say how long it is??

Or am I missing something…

@Ibra indeed! I heard the same and was initially nervous to fly in to it, but after the first landing where I was full stop halfway down the runway, I didn’t understand the issue.

For me it is equally concerning to go off the end of a runway on dirt or water…

BTW I think they resurfaced it in the meantime, and it looks great

AF wrote:

This isn’t Europe , but it was one of my favorite places to land…

Funny how some pilots in a Florida FBO talked about that asphalt runway being “very short and challenging” for a Cessna, well the FBO rental agreement did prohibit operation on grass the place is about the size of North Weald where jets fly Mustang, Gnat, JetProvost and even Mig25 once!

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message