Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain Flying Norway

Hi all,

Sorry for another message from me!

As you know our exped is in a couple of weeks time, our route takes us across to Norway from Scotland and down through Sweden / Germany.

RE Norway does anyone have any experience they would be willing to talk to me about mountain flying? We have a very experienced FI who has been into courchevel but I just would like for my piece of mind talk to someone who is more experienced than I am in that type of flying!

Thanks

Mark

I´ve done a lot of mountain flying, anything specific you are worried about?

Hokksund/ENHS

L-18C could we have a chat on the phone at all? Just some questions in general really?

Mark, I liked this book very much: http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Mountains-Training-Single-Engine-Aircraft/dp/0071410538
BTW, we are also going to tour Norway/Sweden for 9 days starting from the 24th of July.
Greetings,

Yuri

EHLE

Hi,
This document may offer some good info on flying in Norway specifically.

http://luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/article10277.ece/BINARY/VFR2013-web.pdf

/Patrik

ESG..., Sweden

I fly in the heart of the Norwegian mountains all the time, at Oppdal. From 21-27 of July there is a “glider week”. I will be there towing gliders (don’t remember the exact days). It’s a nice little airport at one of Norway’s major skiing resorts (not much skiing now though). 900m pawed. Mogas, Avgas and JetA1 is available, and hopefully some hot dogs Lots of hotels and restaurants close by. Only 10 min flight to the coast, there are one of Norways most scenic mountains/fjords, 6000 feet straight down to the sea in a labyrinth of fjords and mountains. We have of course ordered beautiful weather

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I just have done no mountain flying before and the mountains are around 5000ft at least! A couple of Norwegian lads have planned the route, they have not flown this route before!

It takes us up from Bergen, to Voss-Bomoen, then north to the Sognefjord to land at Sogndal, (looks interesting!) then across to Fagernes ENFG and down to Kjeller.

Any pointers for this route? I presume the Vis needs to be very good and the cloud base of course way above 6000ft to be able to fly that route? I can’t really see many low level routes from Bergen to Kjeller!!

Any general rules etc when flying down in the Fjords below the tops of the mountains? I am sure I read that if the wind is across the ridges and more than 15-20kts it is a no go?

Thanks

Mark

Will plug Sparky Imeson’s Mountain Flying Bible – lots of good common sense airmanship with good chapters on weather.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

One of the biggest dangers is high tension electricity cables strung across most fjords…..best not to venture below the tops too far

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Mark,

Make sure that Sogndal is open when you get there. We had to divert to Floro when FIS informed us that the field was still closed around lunch time..

One of the best diversions of my life though ;)

Last Edited by mrfacts at 02 Jul 20:17
EDLN and EDKB
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message