Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration as separate services, and flights to/from the UK

I don’t know of any current airport in France which offers one and not the other.

Besançon. Montbéliard. Toussus-le-Noble (last time I checked).

Peter wrote:

I recall Wangen-Lachen having “exit customs” but it was actually customs+immigration (you emailed or faxed Zurich with a PNR).

GA flying between Schengen countries shouldn’t have passport & immigration control, since that is exactly what Schengen was meant to eliminate. Since Switzerland is part of Schengen but not the EU customs union, travel today to/from Switzerland and other Schengen countries only requires customs control. Many smaller GA airports in Switzerland now have both entry & exit possibility which requires notification of the arrival/departure to customs in advance and they may or may not appear … their prerogative. Wangen-Lachen is one of those. Pilot communication is now with the local airfield FlugDienstLeiter (FDL, or in Jepp terminology ATS – air traffic service position) who notifies customs. Often customs has a delegation arrangement with local police to do the checks. Because there is no immigration control of these flights, they can only be made to/from Schengen countries with no POB needing a visa. So to answer the original Q, these GA airfields would all qualify. They have PNR customs but no pass/immigration.

Non-Schengen flights need immigration and would therefore need to enter/exit via a airfield with both.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Non-Schengen flights need immigration and would therefore need to enter/exit via a airfield with both.

I think it’s the same in Norway too. Coming from Schengen, you can go to lots of airports. Coming from non-Schengen, you have to go to an international airport. Only international airports have customs and immigration control on site. The others have neither.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t know of any current airport in France which offers one and not the other.
Besançon. Montbéliard. Toussus-le-Noble (last time I checked).

Toussus LFPN, indeed, but has this strange condition

Besancon LFSA, indeed

Montbeliard LFSM doesn’t say that it doesn’t have immigration

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Toussus: you are reading it wrong. It more or
less clearly says that flights outside of Schengen (even if inside the EU) are not allowed.

Anyway, one always needs to read NOTAMs in parallel. And even then, as we have often said, AIP and NOTAM are often not 100% accurate for these things.

Montbeliard is NO border crossing point („point de passage frontalier“) even though they missed to make that more clear in their AD entry (as Besancon did).

Annemasse is another such case (customs airport, but not a point de passage frontalier).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am not reading it wrong. I agreed with rwy20, only adding that it has that strange condition about funds and goods having to be exempted – basically saying it has Customs but only if they have no function to perform So it is OK for Norway and Switzerland but not the UK, etc.

Does France publish a list of “border crossing points”? They used to publish one via the EU (various previous threads) but it was always uselessly out of date.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wherever I have seen an official reference to “border crossing points” or “point de passage frontalier”, these have been listed specifically in the context that the “border” in question is the external Schengen border, not the national border.

This is the case in the Official Journal of the EU here:
2018c_261_03_25_7_2018_pdf
or the French AIC with essentially the same list for France here: lf_circ_2017_a_031_en_pdf

Just a comment that the French AIC is no longer on the official SIA web site, that I can find, so it appears to have expired…. whatever that means. Perhaps someone on the forum knows if it is still published in an official way online.

Yes, the comment about customs only being available if there is nothing to declare (funds or goods) seems rather odd but in effect it amounts to saying that these airfields are the customs equivalent of the green door at intl airports, except that you need to announce your passage in advance so they have the ability to show up if they want to take the time to make the trip. A large % of the time, they don’t. At intl airports of course the green and red doors are side by side, so customs is always there for the red door and it is easy for them to watch those going through the green door and pull someone at random/will.

LSZK, Switzerland

In the case of Toussu-le-Noble above, I would be interested if someone could explain what “franchises” (translation: deductibles) apply to money and goods between Schengen countries (eg. France-Germany). My understanding is that the customs union is exactly that there is free transfer of goods and no deductible/limit. Is that wrong? In what situation would this phrase (in the T-le-N entry) apply for a flight from Germany to France?

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

I would be interested if someone could explain what “franchises” (translation: deductibles) apply to money and goods between Schengen countries (eg. France-Germany). My understanding is that the customs union is exactly that there is free transfer of goods and no deductible/limit. Is that wrong?

“Franchise” here means an exemption rather than a deductible. Even though EU has a customs union, moving large amounts of cash, bullion, diamonds, or goods subject to excise within EU is still subject to customs control. The rest is exempt. So, you are allowed to cross the border at Toussus unless you carry over €10k in cash, or a suitcase full of cigarettes, or the like. Official information is here.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 21 Apr 22:50
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

chflyer wrote:

Yes, the comment about customs only being available if there is nothing to declare (funds or goods) seems rather odd but in effect it amounts to saying that these airfields are the customs equivalent of the green door at intl airports

I think the point is that you if have stuff to declare, then it has to be processed. The police/customs may easily travel to a location to check that you do not bring anything illegal, or bring too much of something, but they are not a travelling customs office. They have no way of processing goods you are importing legally and want to declare.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message