Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Listening to music during flight

I tried it using the auto cutout with the Bose but found it far too busy to enjoy. I do listen to music fairly often but will now listen to it relatively quietly without the auto cutout for RT.

United Kingdom

When I am flying alone and enroute I listen to music. I don’t find it distracting at all. Never on departure or approach below 10k feet.

EGTK Oxford

there is far too much radio chatter

No wonder in southern UK, try the northeast of France…

LSZK, Switzerland

How many of you do this, what equipment do you use, does it cut the music out automatically when there is radio activity, and do you find it practical?

I’ll do it when I have an airplane available with an input jack, such as the newer (?) G1000-equipped aircraft. I wouldn’t be comfortable doing this if it DIDN’T have the auto-mute function. Too often do I find it troublesome to understand what’s being said on the radio without music already. But with the auto-mute function, it adds a LOT of pleasure.

Contrary to what next’s approach to listening to music, I find that anything I do in life gets better if there’s music to go along with. Next to picking up flying, I’d say Spotify has had the single-most positive effect on my life in recent years.

I’ll turn the music off for any critical phase of the flights, i.e. take-off, approach, crossing a busy CTR – limiting music to longer en-route passages. I realize you could argue this is reckless because ANY phase of the flight is critical. But then I’d also be quick to pull the plug from the 3.5 mm jack the second I find the music distracts me from something more important at hand.

There is also the issue of forcing your passengers to listen to your music. I have flown with pilots who just put it on and that’s it

Is that any different from a car ride? Sure enough, I usually “force” my passengers in the car to listen to my music by simply having it run all the time. But I’m open to their suggestions to change it (bring your own music…) or turn it off if they want. On longer trips, I’d say everyone who cares brings some music and then people can take turns selecting what’s on. All this applies to a flying trip, too IMHO. Although come to think of it, when flying, I’d be more reluctant to listen to music I absolutely don’t like than when driving.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

A friend in the US has a small portable bluetooth module in her Grumman Tiger which plugs into the intercom. The music sounded great through it (although better through the Bose headsets I borrowed from another friend than my David Clarks). But we were flying mainly in the middle of nowhere and there was pretty much zero radio traffic.

Andreas IOM

I tried to play music on my iphone whilst it was BT connected to my headset (Sennhieser)…..didn’t work….it does auto-mute if on a phone call though….not that it worries me a lot….it seems like everywhere I fly there is constant chatter on the radio anyway so I’m sure listening to constantly interrupted music would just be annoying…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

My preferred headset is the Zulu.2, I have my Galaxy Note 3 connected via bluetooth and have it randomly streaming music from my library via bluetooth to the headset. It’s set up that the music is at a constant background level without being intrusive over the R/T – initially I set it up with the auto-mute function but, as others have said, nothing is more annoying that your music being muted because someone else is giving his life story over the air in the hope of getting some service (other than basic) from Farnboro.

The additional benefit is that Sky-Map also streams the audio reports to me via Bluetooth – for example change tanks, airspace ahead, warnings about NOTAMS and the like – works for me. If my passengers want music, well, that’s for them to sort out, after all, they’ll probably not appreciate my taste in music…. ;-)

EDL*, Germany

…seems difficult in European airspace…unless they reintroduce selcal based on mode S…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL
In general I sing a song myself (when alone..)

Last Edited by Vref at 04 Aug 08:16
EBST

I experimented with running music off my iPhone, integrated into my Sennheiser headset and although there are no music cancelling functions on RX or TX, I just find the ability to listen to a track without any kind of disturbance impossible. I fly VFR/IFR mostly OCAS and on my 1 or 2 hour flights, I am in receipt of some kind of radio service almost with constant chatter going on between other pilots. The only time I might not be in receipt of a radio service is a very late summers evening flying in the hours before sunset flying around high and above cloud when most GA school aircraft are tied down for the night, and its just beautiful enough without need for background music.

I also prefer to be able to monitor the sound of the engine in case of issues. Particualrly in my PA28 as there is little to no monitoring or warning systems, other than what you see and hear. I dont find it helpful to have music masking the sounds of the engine, although I have 99% faith in my engine.

Also, what music is appropriate? For me, I find Metallica / Iron Maiden / Oasis / Rock music good for the gym when you need something ‘agressive’ even to do 10 minutes on a bike, or the Spice Girls or something equally almost stupid when feeling ‘challenged’ and need serious distraction, and Ludovido Einaudi if I want to fall asleep. You dont want to be too relaxed or distracted while flying.

Bluetooth onto the DC Pro-X. It automatically mutes the music when the intercom or radio talks. Once east of Maastricht it’s fairly quiet so it works nicely. I tend to go for things that are fairly relaxing – Kate Bush, Lana del Rey, that sort of thing.

London area
Sign in to add your message