Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Listening to music during flight

Bluetooth onto the DC Pro-X. It automatically mutes the music when the intercom or radio talks. Once east of Maastricht it’s fairly quiet so it works nicely. I tend to go for things that are fairly relaxing – Kate Bush, Lana del Rey, that sort of thing.

Josh
Are you happy with the DC PRO X ? In a piston A/C or jet?

EBST

I have had a Lightspeed Zulu 3 for the last two years but since I used it mainly during training flights I never tried to play music on it. The other day I went on my own and did experiment with it. My conclusion: man was it great! Listening to your favourite songs while enjoying a great view while in a pleasant cruise, magical moment. Totally recommend it.

The Lightspeed has a “commbox priority” button. When enabled, intercom and ATC comms will mute the music. I found that this system is too aggressive and the music is constantly being cut, even if you simply breath into the mike momentarilly. Instead, it’s better to disable this automute and leave the music playing in the background at a volume about 50% lower than the intercom/ATC. That way the music is always playing in the background and I can still clearly hear all ATC transmissions.

I know this is a controversial topic for some (like most things in aviation…) but I don’t see why this should detract from safety if done with a minimal amount of common sense.

EDDW, Germany

I stopped doing it fearing that, as I grow older, one day I’ll get called up by ATC and just continue to sing along And you’d see that just at that moment I blurt out some inappropriate text. Ah well, maybe just risk it and hope that the ATC officer has a sense of humor by saying “sing again please?”

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message