Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The latest on the Italian luxury GA tax?

I'm planning to fly to Bologne (LIPE) on business next month. I'll be at LIPE for 3 days. I thought this GA tax had been withdrawn. Reading the above its now not clear to me. I'll go by Easyjet if there is a risk I would be faced with this tax. Can anyone confirm the is no tax to pay. When I got the landing cost quote from VAG Bologne they did not mention the tax. I'm going to E mail VAG also for confirmation. Thanks

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

The tax is a complete non issue unless you want to permanently base your aircraft in Italy. The current rule is that your aircraft has to spend 6 months in Italy in a given year to be subject to the tax. Similar to yourself -- if you spend more than 6 months in Italy, you have to file your taxes in Italy for that year.

Before they changed it to 6 months in a year, it was 45 days in a single stay excluding maintenance. That wasn't really an issue either because why would you leave your aircraft in Italy for 45+ days unless something was broken and it needed maintenance? Anyway, that is gone and we now have the 6 months rule.

I'm planning to fly to Bologne (LIPE) on business next month.

I'm going to LIPE on May 3rd. I tried to contact them via e-mail to check if I have to announce the flight but nobody replied. Do you know if PPR is needed?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Before they changed it to 6 months in a year, it was 45 days in a single stay excluding maintenance.

OK I wasn't aware of that change to 6 months. That's a lot better.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir, Try this e mail address:

[email protected]

They replied immediately for me and yes, you need to send them quite a bit of information.

Ian

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Emir,

Strictly speaking, at LIPE, you do not need to contact the handling people in advance. However, they appreciate it. In general terms, in Italy, when flying to the big airports, you should always contact them in advance and pass on your details. This smoothes things a lot. It's a bit like reserving a table in your favorite reataurant on a saturday evening; costs nothing, and saves you a lot of hassle.

Total fees are in the area of 60 Euros (in the winter, they charge an extra 27 Euros for de-icing services, irrespective of the actual weather conditions...).

The GAT is nice and modern, but a little far from the main terminal (where you find rental cars, taxies, busses, etc.). It's facing apron 4. The handling people can give you a ride over there (via the apron), but they will charge you extra.

Customs are available. ATC, as usual in Italy, is rather inflexible and has little understanding of how small GA works. Otherwise, I was quite happy (last time I visited is about one year ago).

STOLman,

If you want to know all the chronology of the luxury tax saga, have google translate this for you.

In short: don't worry about it. And: don't enquire about this with handling people or airport personnell. They are just not competent to answer, as it really has nothing to do with the airports. It's more of a tax on aircraft ownership.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

don't worry about it. And: don't enquire about this with handling people or airport personnell. They are just not competent to answer, as it really has nothing to do with the airports. It's more of a tax on aircraft ownership.

However, since aircraft tend to park at airports, the scheme would have required that airports operate some sort of reporting scheme, monitoring and reporting how long each aircraft is parked there.

I know a man who got done for tax evasion - a builder who failed to declare some 5 figures of income. The Revenue found he had a £30k ski-boat. How? By visiting the lake.

Administrator

However, since aircraft tend to park at airports, the scheme would have required that airports operate some sort of reporting scheme, monitoring and reporting how long each aircraft is parked there.

In theory, yes, but why do you assume that the ministero delle finanze was so clever as to implement such a system with the ministero dei trasporti? ;-)

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

but why do you assume that the ministero delle finanze was so clever as to implement such a system with the ministero dei trasporti? ;-)

One tends to assume that a proposed law might be implemented - even if it is apparently crazy.

Aviation is full of crazy regs.

In 2004/2005 France and the UK proposed a reg to limit N-reg long term parking to 90 days in any one year. The French one didn't go very far but the UK one ran for a very long time (over a year IIRC) during which many N-reg owners got scared enough to transfer their planes to G, or sell them.

EASA FCL is next. How do you think they are going to monitor whether the operator is EU resident?

No I can't see it either. But you can count the headless chickens already. Rather fewer than the FTOs were hoping for, but still a fair number.

And anything is possible in Italy. The locals can ignore it by knowing, ahem, "local procedures" but a visiting tourist who can't speak Italian is easy prey for getting bent over a barrel and shafted. And he can't just clear off; his nice shiny plane is sitting right there... very vulnerable.

That's why people worry about this stuff.

Administrator

Strictly speaking, at LIPE, you do not need to contact the handling people in advance. However, they appreciate it.

@boscomantico: Thanks, I received their confirmation yesterday afternoon and it was useful - they warned me no avgas was a available at GA apron. The procedure is: annoince ETA, avgas waits for you at main apron, fill and taxi to GA apron. To avoid loosing too much time, I'll take off from LDZA full and return without filling up at LIPE.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message