Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flightradar 24 / FR24 - how exactly does it work?

Where do you see these flight plans?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be amazed if FR24 can get flight plans

They do. I’ve seen it repeatedly when I filed a flight plan (e.g. for the next day) that it already appeared as scheduled in FR24.

always learning
LO__, Austria

From looking at my own flight, i noticed that usually the scheduled departure/arrival and actual/arrival are most of the time the same (whether IFR or VFR flight plans), except in the case when I did flight to cannes when I had to get a slot as the airport was coordinated, in which case the scheduled times were both exactly matching the flight plan and actual were also correct.

Just an extra piece of information, maybe they have way to access slots from the handling service, or flight plan with slot may be slightly different.

EGTF, United Kingdom

I would be amazed if FR24 can get flight plans – either AFTN (which don’t actually exist after delivery, except in private / S&R databases) or Eurocontrol. And remember that out of Eurocontrol zone, it is all just AFTN.

Administrator

Steve6443 wrote:

arj1 wrote: @Steve6443 where can you the flightplans?

If you know the aircraft registration, look for it on FR24. Once a flight plan has been submitted, then it will appear. However you will not see the aircraft depart, nor will it be tracked on FR24. The only way you know the plane has departed is because the flight plan disappears…..

Could you post a link here? Can’t find it at a first glance.
Thanks!

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

@Steve6443 where can you the flightplans?

If you know the aircraft registration, look for it on FR24. Once a flight plan has been submitted, then it will appear. However you will not see the aircraft depart, nor will it be tracked on FR24. The only way you know the plane has departed is because the flight plan disappears…..

EDL*, Germany

From here

Steve6443 wrote:

know of a company CEO with a private jet (CJ2+) and the only way you see where he is flying is because of the flight plans which appear on FR24 but not the aircraft itself. Once the aircraft has departed / flight plan is cancelled, the flight plan vanishes… he prefers it that way…

@Steve6443 where can you the flightplans?

EGTR

That is not a typical drone, it is 200kg and has own G-reg with more avionics than a new Cirrus SR22

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

FR24 is now showing drones, and perhaps more interestingly some big drones have Mode S

Administrator

My home field is behind a 5-600ft ridge.
On the S-mode planes, we are not visible on FR24 until ~1500ft AGL where we apparently get good enough LOS to enough receivers for MLAT.
One plane has ADS-B out, ie radiating position, and is visible on FR24 taxiing on the apron.
Squawk code is irrelevant, as long as the XPDR is sending something so the server can calculate the TDOA. from all the MLAT ground-stations in range.

ESMK, Sweden
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message